Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 With all the hype about camo... >

With all the hype about camo...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Predator fall grey... is my choice
100.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

With all the hype about camo...

Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default With all the hype about camo...

With all the hype about open patern camo, i have finnaly made up my mind to get some. But i need your help on deciding which one first. I'm either going to get the Asat 3d suit, or the Predator fall grey in either bucksuede or wolfskin... So the decision is up to you, you zig i zag

PS: Could someone alsoplease tell me the difference between bucksuede and wolfskin fabric. And also would one of these two camos be better for turkey hunting. I'm planning on giving it a shot next year.
thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 PM

Default RE: With all the hype about camo...

I like my camo in the designer stuff..............like mossy oak or just plain green sweats[:-]

and I like it faded...................like a good worn cork handle on a g-loomis rod................

Looks ugly but you know its been worked over real good......................

That means I am hunting hard........

When I see perfect new camo on a dude.....................LOL............the shet shines like the sun
Old 08-10-2006, 06:36 PM

You can buy Two pairs of pants and two shirts in Predator for the price of one ASAT 3D suit.

As to which will be more effective? I think they're about the same.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

But, your ASAT 3-D suit is all you need - no need to buy two or three sets of clothes. It goes over whatever other camo, or regular everyday clothes like jeans, you have. I haven't bought camo in 3 years because I wear all my old camo under it.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

But, your ASAT 3-D suit is all you need - no need to buy two or three sets of clothes. It goes over whatever other camo, or regular everyday clothes like jeans, you have.
That is deffinatly the selling point of this camo, and why i like it so much. I do however believe that Predator has just as good of designs if not better.

I know you could get a set of predator cheaper then Asat, but i want to get some quality fabric such as the bucksuede or wolfskin which would cost a little more.

Keep the replys coming guys
Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I would rather have two or three sets of camo. If you are away from home you have several sets of fresh clothes instead of one spendy stinky, bloody, or wet set of clothes!I just ordered the fall grey in the bucksuade and am hoping I like the fabric. I am intersted to her from anyone that has it?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well... between the two, I think you know already which one I'd choose, Illinoisbow.

In fact, I had a lengthy phone conversation just yesterday with the gentleman who runs Whitetail.com about this very same thing.

ASAT is great, don't get me wrong... but I still don't care for it's monotone background.Yes, its striping tends to confuse the eye (I've heard several people make the statement "deer just don't know what to think when they see this stuff"), but I'd take the sheer contrast principle that Fall Gray relies on any day. It still utlitzes some "sticks and limbs" on top of that, but that's just icing on the cake.

You may or may not have seen the thread I posted a couple days ago in here; I think it was titled "An interesting camo comparison..." or something like that. I can't remember if you responded on that thread or not... Anyway, if you haven't seen it, it's probably on page 2 by now. Do yourself a favor and look at those pics on that thread again. Also, read my commentary on there as well when I was explaining to a couple readers my intent on posting that...

One thing to keep in mind (and you probably are, or you wouldn't have already narrowed your choices down to these two great patterns), is that for 99% of bowhunters, how they will be seen by deer is from the ground as it looks up into a tree. For this reason, I prefer Fall Gray.

Take a look at this pic below, and you'll see exactly what I mean:

I honestly don't think ASAT could hide that hunter anywhere close to as well as that guy. Look closely, he's right out in the open, and not partially hidden behind a myriad of trunks and branches. The fact that he as a hunter is basically skylighted makes my point even more. I know we as hunters try to use the trunk of a tree to break up our outline, but how many times has a deer come in from an unexpected direction? It's been my experience that being sklylighted is my number-one concern while being in a tree (after stand selection, wind direction and all those other criteria are factored in before I even get up in the tree).

If you've got a tangle of big limbs or several twisting trunksbehind you to break up your outline even more, well... this pattern is just going to be that much more effective and harder to spot from the ground.

Finally, I know there's some serious ASAT supporters in here... and hopefully you'll see I wasn't trying to slam the pattern. If I couldn't find Fall Gray on the market, I would give it some serious consideration. I think when this new Enigma pattern gets tweaked a bit in terms of contrasting background, it will be very much worth looking into. Just right now... I don't think there's anything close to this pattern in terms of the contrast and ability to just plain obliterate the human outline. Not even close. That picture speaks a thousand words.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

thank you so much greg for taking the time to type that up. Ya i already did know what you would choose, but with your very informative post hereand your post titled, "an intresting camo comparison," you have convinced me 100%that the predator fall grey is better and that is what i am going to go with. Thanks Greg

I do still have just one more question, is there any advantage that the wolfskin fabrichas over the bucksuede fabric. I know i can't go wrong with wolfskin, but the bucksuede is a little cheaper and seems like it would be a good fabric as well. Any suggestions
Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest, I've only held sample swatches of Wolfskin... My good friend Robhas handled the stuff, and seen water poured on it and watched it run right off. (I don't think it's actually waterproof, but very, very water-resistant.) Wolfskin is being touted in the industry as probably THE premiere fabric you could buy right now..

Obviously, bucksuede would be much cheaper I would think, and it's a very good fabric as well. For my personal hunting needs, I feel bucksuede is more than adequate. Heck, I even like 9 oz. chamois cotton extremely well -- except when it gets wet!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

thanks again greg, ya the bucksuede is alot cheaper and i'm sure it is some pretty good stuff...as i think about it,with all the money i can save i mightbe ableto make another trip to Bass Pro

Quick Reply: With all the hype about camo...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.