Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Favorite Cover Scent... >

Favorite Cover Scent...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Cover Scent...

Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Favorite Cover Scent...

What does everyone use for Cover Scent...?? I used to use Fox urine on my boots, but now I am pretty hooked on White Lightening... Stuff works awesome and I have never had one pick up my trail...

We cross a good size creek as soon as we get into the woods where most scent gets off my boots, then we spray down with the White Lightening and seems to work Perfect...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Favorite Cover Scent...

I do not use a cover scent, I try to go as scentless as possible, I use Scent Killer to try to eliminate as much scent as possible.

I'm not a fan of cover scents, take your fox urine for example. What if the neighbor uses fox urine and he stopped to get gas, smokes, chews, has bacon on his shirt etcc....spooking every whitetail for miles...the deer will learn to associate the fox urine with him a human and avoid it....pehaps that isn't the case but when it comes to whitetails, I'm not taking that chance....as scentless as possible is my moto.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Go scentless as possible. I use Scent Killer too. Good stuff. I wash my clothes in baking soda when I wash em. I like the fresh earth cover scent discs though. They smell like dirt. I guess I just like Hunter Specialties stuff, Cheap, and effective.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

I agree Rob, that's why I switched to the white Lightening... No smell... Interesting that people are getting away from the cover scents though, and that's a good point about what others might do and use...

That's the worse thing about hunting sometimes, no matter how careful you are there could be someone (and it only takes one probably) that doesn't care to go tromping through the woods whether they are allowed to be there or not that can ruin it in a heartbeat for all... SUX...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try to be sent free as possible use the sent killer body wash and wash your clothes with sent killer clothing soap.
Once I'm the woods walking to my stand I might use a sent drag of trails end and then put some sent wicks around my shooting lanes.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

I dont use cover scents but I do use Scent Killer
Old 08-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only use Scent Killer.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too believe scent free is the way to go. Scent blocker clothes and scent killer spray for equipment. Don't let them know you are in their world. I just love it when they have no idea you are there.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I tryed some coon last year it must have been coon in heat.Had 3 try to get in the tree with me!!I'm going Scent Killer this year.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:37 AM

I use scent killer sprays and soap and detergents. I also keep a couple FRESH EARTH wafers in my bow case. I use local foliage from my hunting grounds in my clothes bag because I figure it can't hurt to smell like the trees I am sitting in.

FRESH EARTH is a very nice product IMO. I have used the spray, wafers and dryer sheets and found all of them to do exactly what they say they will........make me smell like dirt. Whether or not that helps me vs a deer's nose........who knows??

Quick Reply: Favorite Cover Scent...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.