Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what calls to use when? >

what calls to use when?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what calls to use when?

Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Default what calls to use when?

new to bowhunting and im wondering what calls to use when and what sequence should be used when calling. thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Default RE: what calls to use when?

anybody?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a True Talker or a Flextone there pretty good calls they have insrtuctions on how to use them.
From opening day to the end of Oct. use only fawn or does bleats ( early season ) 3 short blats.
Try to mimick the sound of sheep going bhaaa bhaaa bhaaa but soft and low and call every 1/2 hour or so.
Come the first two weeks of Nov. start with the buck gunts and make it sound like urrrp urrrp urrrp.
As you practice you'll get better, you might want to try some rattling at that time too.
You might want to read some books on the subject, I have one titled The Art of Whitetail Deception by Kathy Etling.
I found it to be very informitive, this book tells you about calling, rattling and decoying it very good reading.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM

cool thanks. i ordered a true talker and a rattling bag from HS ill just have to pick up a doe bleat. thanks man
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can make the doe bleat sound with the true talker.
When you get your talker read the instructions on theback of the package.
Its really a good product I have one and use it every year.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should have gotten the Deer Flute from River Valley. You can make all the calls from fawn bleats to dominate buck grunts.

You can never have to many calls.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Can call...I use that through the season and have had great luck in bringing in those "out of range deer" with the bow. I have a grunt call that I start using beginning in Nov. I try rattling now and them if I need action as well.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

As a somewhat novice deer hunter ......but former AVID waterfowler......I'd like to state a hypothesis.....

When calling animals.........less... is MOST TIMES.....more.

It seems....in the waterfowl world.....that people like to blow their duck calls to make sounds THEY like to hear. I remember the first time I had a small buck grunting at does in my set. I was like a kid at the movies. It's changed the way I use my grunt call.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I caled in a doe with The Can by Primos. When a deer starts walking away or I know they won't come in I pull out all the stops and try to bring em in.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

same here. i only call as last resort . ive tried them all over the years. if i didnt spook them they would always hang up or end up snorting downwind of me. i used a grunt tube once to calm down a deer after a missed shot thanks to a small limb though. i wont buy another call or doe in heat bottle ever again.

Quick Reply: what calls to use when?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.