Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ok, I'm taking the plunge, >

Ok, I'm taking the plunge,

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok, I'm taking the plunge,

Old 08-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ok, I'm taking the plunge,

and upgradeing to carbon arrows, but first I need some education.
1) I found some at sportsman guide, they'reGold Tip, trophy hunters for $44. and change per dozen, I just have to havethem cut to length,but advertised as + or _ .006, my alumns. were .002, so is this bad or not, and if it is, what should I be looking at to get.

2) I shoot Muzzey 4 blade, in 100 grain, will they work on the carbons? they transition to the alumn. shafts smoothly with no edge, won't I have an edge going to a smaller shaft size, or does this not matter.

3) I want to outfit with Blazer vanes, but have seen pics, and they're just pics, I haven't seen them in person yet, but they look rather large, will they fit thru a WB? Thinking of going White, in order to read the blood after the shot, is white also a good color to see when looking for your arrow?

4) I fletch my own arrows, is the glue the same on Carbon's as is Alumn.?And what about glueing on top of wraps? I use an Arizona E-Z fletch, and now will have to get a new one for the Carbon's, Should I stay with the Arizona, or is there something better without spending an arm and a leg?

5) Is there anything more about Carbons I should know that you guys have run in to? any advise here will greatly help, thanks.

6) Last one, and bow related, My bow is 5 years old now, and still has it's original string, Is it time to replace the string as good maintenance? If so what are good strings other than OEM, I've heard some can actually increase arrow speed, like Fast Flight, I think that's their name. Is this true? What are good strings to choose from? Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok, I'm taking the plunge,

This is just my opinion,but you might want to find arrows in the +or- .003 range.Otherwise everything you're thinking looks like it'll work(i can't say either way on the wraps because i've never tried them).You will also want to go with carbon arrows WITHOUT the camo finish to ensure a quiet draw when using the w.b.Blazers work great for me thru the w.b.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 AM

Just from my personal experience:

1. - From what I've heard the difference betweeen .006 and .002 for just a hunting perspective isn't gonna produce that much of a difference. Target or 3D shooters will benefit from teh tightest tolerances possible.

2. - Muzzys and carbons are great. Fit will be perfect.

3. - Blazers are probably THE preferred choice with a WB. Just be sure to put a little extra drop of glue on the leading edge of the fletching and you should have no problems.

4. - Since you are doing your own fletching wraps are the way to go. Besides getting the "look" you want you will get MUCH better adhesion with your vanes. Fletching is just so much easier with wraps you'll wonder why you haven't been wrapping them all along.

5. - Always, ALWAYS check each arrow by flexing it a little and looking for cracks and splits before each shot. Damaged carbons can hurt you!

6. - Yeah, 5 years is a bit long for a string. I'd replace it.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd check that arrow deal again. I think Sportsman's Guide is selling gold tip broadheads and some non-gold tip shaft. I don't think you're gonna find gold tips for $44/Dozen. If you do, let me know! Their cheapest shaft is going for about $60 elsewhere. The pro hunters are alot higher than that.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Mastevt

4) I fletch my own arrows, is the glue the same on Carbon's as is Alumn.?And what about glueing on top of wraps? I use an Arizona E-Z fletch, and now will have to get a new one for the Carbon's, Should I stay with the Arizona, or is there something better without spending an arm and a leg?

Check the diameter of the carbon arrow vs. the diameter range on the EZ-fletch. I fletch my Carbon Express Terminators in an aluminum E-Z fletch with no problems.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:59 PM

1. Get the most expensive arrows you can afford. .006 is pretty loose. In other words, that's +/- .006, so arrows in a dozen could be off by as much as .012, and that's a LOT.

2. Muzzy heads will work just fine w/ carbons. Any tip you can shoot on aluminum you can shoot on carbon as well.

3. Blazers are one of the best vanes to shoot through a WB. They are quite rigid and can handle the abuse better than most other vanes. Shoot cock vane up and enjoy.

4. Glueing to carbons can sometimes be tricky, but use a good cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) and they stick quite well. Especially if you use steel wool and scuff the arrow slightly. Gluing on wraps is the bomb. I think you could use Elmer's school glue w/ wraps. (I wouldn't though..)

5. Just be careful w/ them. If you smack them into something, check them for cracks. They can stand quite alot of abuse. Don't buy into the either straight or broken theory. The spine can be shot out of them, especially w/ less expensive ones. If you've been shooting really good, then all the sudden your groups suck, it may be time for new arrows. Carbons are very good, and you'll be happy w/ them I think.

6. I'm not sure what string you have on your bow, but it's probably either fast flight or dacron. There are much better strings out there, but some get a little pricey. Yes, it's time to change yours after 5 years. Winner's Choice are some of the best, but a set will run you around 100 bucks. Zebra strings are pretty good, and not as pricey. Gibblet's are just awesome, but if you need them in a hurry you're out of luck. Ohhhhhhh.....there's one other I just can't think of.......OH......Vapor Trail makes fine strings as well. But should you go w/ OEM, that's ok too.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I just order online the XT Hunters(Gold Tip brand)from Cabela's. They are + or - .003, so that should be ok, I also ordered a new sight, the Trophy Ridge Mantis Pendulum, White Blazer vanes, and the Eze Crest wraps, Red to orange. Should be a nice set up. What do ya think?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you have a good combination right there. I think you will do well with that.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be good to go. XT shafts are excellent, with blazers and wraps, cant go wrong. I have some buds with the sight you ordered and they all love it. Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM

Sounds pimpin!!!!!! Show us the pics!!!!

Quick Reply: Ok, I'm taking the plunge,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.