Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hanging a deer after kill >

Hanging a deer after kill

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hanging a deer after kill

Old 11-05-2002, 06:34 PM

Default Hanging a deer after kill

Usually after i shoot my deer the check in station is already closed so i have to hang it over night and take it in the morning. What is the best and right way to hang a deer?

Forever Hunter
Old 11-05-2002, 06:37 PM

Default RE: Hanging a deer after kill

I always hang my deer from the hind legs... That way the deer has a chance to lose some of that excess blood.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:43 PM

I agree. I always field dress the deer and then slit the jugular veins and hang them from their back legs. This allows all excess blood to drain from the carcass. I believe this also helps get rid of some of the 'gamey' flavor of the meat.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:44 PM

Thanks guys!

Forever Hunter
Old 11-05-2002, 06:45 PM

Ah yes! I knew I was forgetting something! I beleive youre right, it does get rid of some of that gamey taste!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hang mine from the hind legs. I'm not sure if it's "right" or "better" , I just always have. I was taught that hanging a buck by the neck is disrespectfull to the buck.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 11-05-2002, 07:01 PM

Ive heard that too... Also, if you want to have the buck mounted, it might mess up the hide around the neck...?
Old 11-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

i some times hang them from the head and you can spry a hose in there or splash some water in ther to clean it out even more.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:26 PM

I too also hang them from the hind legs. I spray the deer out in the back of my truck before I hang it. I also try to cut away some of the excess skin from where I cut to field dress.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:33 PM

I'll get on the other side of the fence...

Forgetting for the moment the mount - we hang our deer from the head/neck. We prop the cavity open with a stick (or limb) then (as stated) splash water inside & clean out the cavity until the water running out is clean - no blood running out of the cavity.

The jugular in a whitetail is small - about 1/4 inch - I can't believe cutting that gets 'extra' blood out of the system...

Also - for what it's worth - I'd recommend hanging that deer a week or so if your cold weather permits. After about 36 hours the enzymes start to break down and the meat will 'season' and prove to be better tasting - I'd also recommend de-boning all meat and trimming all tallow!!

GREAT EATS!!!!

Aim small miss small

Quick Reply: Hanging a deer after kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.