Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trigger Punching???? >

Trigger Punching????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trigger Punching????

Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trigger Punching????

I seem to be having a little trouble with punching my trigger that I cant shake.This is my first year bowhunting and to me it's a lot different than squeezing a gun trigger.With a gun I can usually make a prop with my elbow on my knee or just a sturdy object so I can take my time,hold steady,and squeeze.With my bow it seems like I want to punch the trigger as soon as thepin hits my target.I can't seem to hold it steady enough.I don't think that my draw weight is the problem because I've been leaving it pretty light until I get the feel of shooting it.My groups are'nt that bad but I think they should be a little more tighter and consistent.
Anybody have any opinions,suggestion,or aremidy(not sure on spelling)?Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trigger Punching????

yeah id like some feedback im sorta having this problem too, i think the correct term is target panic i believe
Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Blind bale, blind bale, and blind bale some more. Get close to the target, like......10 feet, and either blindfold yourself or close your eyes. FOCUS on form and follow through. It's boring, but if you want to kick the habit, you'll need to do this for a couple weeks. After that, start shooting spots again, but don't always fire an arrow. Every once in a while, draw, anchor, and let down. By doing this, your brain will have to "guess" when you are shooting and when you aren't.

Or, learn back tension.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

mobowhuntr gives you some sound advice. You need to concentrate on form and release before you can concentrate on shooting spots...and remember, no one holds rock steady and the key is a smooth/surprise release, believe me the shot will be there, it's all in the mind and not in the body. That will be your "remedy".

Photo's at full draw will get your form criticed...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM

Rob, yer not bustin on my "spellin" again, are ya??? Wan't even me......this time......
Old 08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies fellas.I'll try and come up with something to use as a bale.Hopefully I'll be able to find something tommorow.Sometime soon I'll try and post somepics of my form so everybody can tell how badly it is.
Thanks again,
James
Old 08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

One more question I forgot to ask.When I draw my bow back,where should my finger be at fulldraw on the release trigger?On my rifle I usually just usethe tip of myfinger and thats where I have it set now.Is that where it's supposed to be?Just wanna get everything straight before I start practicing.
Thanks again,
James
Old 08-03-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may also want to try a thumb trigger release. I've had a problem the last couple of years with trigger punching that I couldn't shake. Last week I bought a Tru Ball thumb trigger release and I haven't punched since and my groups have greatly improved.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:55 AM

soon enough you'll be drive-by shooting gutshot. a thumb trigger is only a band-aid. as soon as your subconcious learns when the trigger will release - you'll start breaking down and popping off as soon as the pin hits the target.

michael braden has a way around it. i watched the video. to me he muscles his way thru the shot, pushing on his bow hand and pulling with his release elbow/shoulder. he sure can shoot so all i can say is its not for me - but it is a way around the problem.

its funny watching my neighbor and all the boys around here doing this and that to cure the body breakdowns and issues a trigger creates.

my solution is pure back tension. 10 minutes with my thumb trigger and i'm driving by the pin. i hunt with the thumb trigger, but don't practice with it.

with pure back tension there is no trigger to punch, and you have to settle in and relax before you begin execution - and its a surprise when the thing lets go. its an instant cure - but groups and shooting will suffer for a long time (probably) before you can really execute it.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

GKF has a release called "The Answer" for helping break you of punching the trigger. Nice thing about it is that you can switch the "training" aid off if you like once you think you've taught yourself and use it like a regular release. Not so nice...the price.

Quick Reply: Trigger Punching????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.