Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lone Wolf & climbing sticks in lieu of climber >

Lone Wolf & climbing sticks in lieu of climber

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf & climbing sticks in lieu of climber

Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Lone Wolf & climbing sticks in lieu of climber

I was going to come back to work from lunch and order this....but I thought I'd ask you guys before I did so.....

I'm thinking of ordering a lone wolf alpha and cimbing sticks to replace the summit climber I gave to my son. I've bought steps for a few trees that I use.....and my plan is to buy some of the extra hook straps that lone wolf sells and just leave them in the trees I utilize. That way.....I just hike the stand in.....carry it up....and set it on the hook. I won't have to worry about stand theft......and I won't be packing a heavy climber every time I hunt. If the need arises for me to hunt somewhee I don't have steps set up......I can always use the climbing sticks. It seems like the best of both worlds.....PLUS I've "heard" that this set-up allows people to use trees that most wouldn't be able to get into with a conventional "Climber" set-up.

Good idea????

Jeff
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Lone Wolf & climbing sticks in lieu of climber

First of all, I've never used climbers. I can't ever find a straight tree without a lot of limbs that need sawing. All I've ever used are portables. Last year I purchased 2 new Alpha Hang On stands. I did this after using a friend of mines Lone Wolf hang on. These are the best stands I've ever used. They are adjustable for almost every angle and attach solidly to the tree. They are comfortable and extremely quiet. Very stable and cinch tightly to the tree when both straps are used. Note, I've never tried the hanging hooks and cannot comment on how they compare to the straps.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a set of the sticks for that purpose. I have a real nice older model loggy hang on that I will set atop it, butafter a little practice I can get 20 feet in the air, in 15-20 minutes. I could probably do better but don't want to go too crazy with speed.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:21 PM

I use the Ameristep Non-Typical and Rapid Rails and love them! My Summit got used very little last year even though it is a great climber.

I have heard nothing but great comments about the Lone Wolf stands. I might get a stand and sticks when I get a real job. [8D]
Old 07-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

SBgobblers, thats what I am doing this season. I love using a climber but too many times have found the need for a portable strap on stand and steps/sticks. As a matter of fact Gander Mtn. is waiting for me to come pick up my Lone Wolf sticks I ordered. I gotta pick them up this weekend. Had a gift card so thats what I am using it on.