Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has anyone used a scope for hunting. >

Has anyone used a scope for hunting.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anyone used a scope for hunting.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Has anyone used a scope for hunting.

I am considering a scope for my bow. I have been looking at the Zeiss scope with a red dot but the 499.00 price tag has got me scared. The reason I want one is for low light conditions I missed 2 nice bucks last year because I couldnt see them. I can see my pins fine but I cant pic up the the deer behind the pins. My buddy shot a buck 10 minutes after I missed my buck so maybe it is my eyes I dont have the best vision in the world and I wear glasses. If anyone has any experince with a scope please leave a reply. There is nothing that makes me sicker than drawing down on a deer only to look through the peep and not be able to see any thing
Old 07-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone used a scope for hunting.

I believe Claude Pollington / Onieda Eagle shooters up in Michigan are scope users. Check their site / MB's for their opinions. Personally, Ive never used one and won't. I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. theory. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:32 PM

I dont think that i would ever use a scope i guess i would just hope that my eyes are good enought to see the buck behind the pin, but it may be something to look into if it will make a large improvement.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I have used a Pollington Red Dot for years. I absolutely love it. The scopeis as good as they say.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Spike

Do you shoot with one eye open and a peep? My first season of bowhunting I had the same problem: waited all season to draw on my first deer. Finally had an opportunity in the last light of the day: drew the bow, looked through the peep, and could hardly see anything.

Now I shoot with both eyes open and use a homemade contraption similar to a "hindsight" rather than a peep. Both my vision and my arrow flight (for some strange reason) are much better.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you decide to take your peep off to help your sight picture i recommend the "no peep" or something like it. Ive thought bout getting a scope as well, but for me it just seems to much like gun hunting...
Old 07-28-2006, 07:43 AM

Ditch the peep. Install a kisser button and plant that in the corner of your mouth, the string on the end of your nose, and your release hand should have a solid anchor point(mine isright under my ear)to go to each time. You do those things and you won't have to worry about looking through a peep hole.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Both eyes open w/o a peep. This was my hardest thing to not screw up. Practicing was easy but when shooting at a deer I thought about it too late and closed one eye like I did for years. Now, I'm pretty good at it and don't screw it up. For low light situations it's the best. I had the same issue with the peeps and switched to a light gathering one before I upgraded to the scope. The light gathering one worked good but was nothing compared to the scope.

I always said the scope works so well it should be illegal.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: corey0304

I am considering a scope for my bow. I have been looking at the Zeiss scope with a red dot but the 499.00 price tag has got me scared. The reason I want one is for low light conditions I missed 2 nice bucks last year because I couldnt see them. I can see my pins fine but I cant pic up the the deer behind the pins.
Perhaps you should just pass the shot and wait until you have adequate light next time ?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: corey0304

I am considering a scope for my bow. I have been looking at the Zeiss scope with a red dot but the 499.00 price tag has got me scared. The reason I want one is for low light conditions I missed 2 nice bucks last year because I couldnt see them. I can see my pins fine but I cant pic up the the deer behind the pins.
Perhaps you should just pass the shot and wait until you have adequate light next time ?
I personally found the peeps a PIA. As soon as the light is dropping well before last legal hunting time, your vision is impaired with them. That's why I changed to a light gathering one and then to a scope. So it's not an issue waiting for better light but an issue of upgrading your setup.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used a scope for hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.