Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting? >

Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

I only ask the question. It's something that I've been pondering lately. When I started bowhunting, any buck was a trophy. In the late season, any deer was a trophy. Now, unless it's "Book", no one is impressed. Hunters are name-dropping "xxx class" bucks here, and"shooter" bucks there. Have we turned bowhunting into another form of "wienie measuring"?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

I believe that the obsession with trophy hunting is corrupting hunting in general , not just bow hunting .
Old 07-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree to an extent. Some areas will never produce monster bucks and trying to hold the people who hunt those areas to "monster bucks" standards is a sucking the fun right out of hunting for a lot of people.
Some parts of the country a 130" deer is a HUGE deer, in others it's so everyday it doesn't get noticed.

I'm not against letting the young ones walk, but waiting for each buck to wear dentures before allowing him to be shot isn't so much hunting as it is selective harvesting.

I say let each buck be larger (bigger rack or larger body)than the last &hunt the bigger deer for your area.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you live in one of the "states" you have less of a chance at shooting a record book buck. I hunt and always have hunted for the passion of the woods, deer, and time with family. I grew up a "meat" hunter and still am to some extent. I have shot three nice bucks that have scored over 125 with a bow, but that was because I saw them first. A three pointer or a nice fat doe is considered by me to still be a trophy.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I myself would also agree with the rest of you. Why is it that you hardley hear of any pros shooting a fork or a small 6 or spike when they have then right in front of them a perfect shot, then a nice bick 10-14 pointer will comeout and theyll take a shot and screw it up. Yet part of me also has to disagree. This year there are 3 of us that hunt 300 acres and with the amount of does and fawns we had last year, some of you remember my horror stories, we have decided to take only 130 class or higher bucks this year and we must have them mounted. In the past we have been harvesting too many young bucks that had great potential. No more. We know we have some really nice bucks on our property, now its time to work for the big ones. The only we time we are allowing ourselves to shoot any cullbucks is in the last few days of the archery season, during the gun season we are going to take anything withantlers 5 points or more. We beileve pacing our our management isgoing to help out our herd and allow for bigger healthier bucks and give us the sucess that we are looking for. 52 days left till opening season, that reminds me, I have to put out another 20 lbs of mineral at one of my stand sites, the deer have gone trhough 60lbs of mineral in a matter of 3-4 weeks.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I believe that the obsession with trophy hunting is corrupting hunting in general , not just bow hunting .
So has bowhunting been corupt since the P&Y days? I see your point, but would have to disagree.

Just because we don't hear of the "bigtime hunters" shooting spikes, forks, messed up racks doesn't mean it does not happen. There is a time land management and herd management and thats when these types of deer get blasted.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good question. I wait for what is a trophy class buck to me. I just like arrowing bigger bucks. All states can produce big bucks if the states wildlife service handels it properly. In Kansas you get one buck tag. You have to make your choice weather it will be bow, riffel, or muzzle loader. One buck tag period. You can get several doe tags. There is a myth about big bucks. yes they grow here in Kansas but you have to work your tail off to even see one. I have hunted Kansas all my life and can count on one hand the 160 or better class bucks I have seen while in the stand. I promise ya the only way to get a bigger buck is to let the small ones walk. Its up to the individual to make their choice.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Banned

I don't think it has. It is whatever brings each person satisfaction. Some are happy with any deer and others set their goals high; whatever trips your trigger. HCH
Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 AM

It goes both ways ,the quest to fill my game room has me bow hunting more and more ,both in days and in other state .So in my case it has promoted the sport.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 AM

I believe it has affected a "portion" of the hunting family much worse than others. The much larger majority of hunters, the guy who gets out on a few weekends only, will usually still appreciate and be proud of any deer that they harvest. It seems the major difference is that some now feel so strongly about their own personal harvest criteria, for example thezealous QDM crowd, that they have lost the ability to relate to the average hunter who really is happy with and proud of any deer. I also think that with about 100 times more media coverage and material than there was even 10 years ago showing 140" and 150" bucks coming into every grunt, bleat and rattle the expectation of some of the newer hunters is being slanted as they are being bombarded by the film shot on strictly managed and often very expensive private land.

I do not think it is corrupting bowhunting though. I do think it is adversely affecting the personal satisfaction and enjoyment that some are experiencing because of self imposed expectations set up by this newer culture/infatuation with larger antleredbucks.

Just look on this board this fall, the huge majority of the deer pictures will be smiling guys holding 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old deer, which I love to see.

Quick Reply: Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.