Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting? >

Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

Old 07-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

I too agree that SB said it best...it would have been a good bookend to this thread.

The only thing I could add, even though others have touched on it is - that is does all depend.

Is the guy who shoots a doe for the freezer and then hunts for a big buck really obsessed?

I hope I am not.

I hope I have helped out my LOCAL deer herd by reducing the number of does we have LOCALLY (which has been determined as an overpopulation by the LOCAL DNR).

I hope that I am also doing the right thing by trying tounderstand the buck population in my LOCAL area.

If the area is holding 50 bucks:
2 - 5 year olds
3 - 4 year olds
8- 3 year olds
12 - 2 year olds
25- 1 year olds

Where I am at in my own PERSONAL point in my experience puts me to where I'd like to hunt for the top 10% in my LOCAL area (The (2) 5 year old and the (3) 4 year olds).

This is MY OWN challenge.

If the top 10% of the bucks in my LOCAL area are 130 8-pointers, then that will be a trophy to me.

Is this a Big Buck? Not on TV anymore. Is it a TROPHY...ABSOLUTELY.

Am I obsessed?

Again, I hope not

But if I am.....what a great obsession to have!... Amongst all the others out there.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 AM

Does it bother me to see someone kill small bucks where I hunt----yes, however if that individual has never harvested a buck then I amhappy for him!Where I huntwe have several big bucks and most of us want to have a shot at one, the waywe get those mature bucks is by letting the little ones grow up. If just killing a deer is "your" trophy then go for it. But don't give me a hard time about having a different preference. I have harvested several small bucks, but I have changed my preference since my younger day's. I am not out to corrupt hunting by letting little bucks grow and I think it is rediculous for someone to even think that way.I respect peoples decision on what they consider a trophy but they should not impose their trophy mentality on me.Look at it from a fishing perspective----"I think you should quit trying to catch a big bass cause your corrupting fishing" this does not make much sense to me! I guess it all boils down to personalambitions and experiences while hunting.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ever notice that human beings are the only species on this planet that specifically target the biggest and healthiest animals to kill?

Ever notice that big bucks (deer) equal big money?

Ever notice that every year there are more and more farmers and land ownersthat are not allowing hunters to hunt their land but instead are leasing it out to hunting clubs, outfitters, professional guides, etc...?

Ever notice that these clubs, guides, and outfitters charge more and more money for the privelage to be able to hunt there ever larger growing heard of bucks?

Ever notice how the average redneck Joe can afford to hunt less and less every year because of the costs associated with big bucks?

IMHO the obsession to kill bigger and bigger bucks is definetly a contributing factor to the corrouption of hunting in general.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think that the obsession to shoot ANY buck just because it has horns is worse than a guy who only wants to shoot a huge one. To qualify, anyone who is starting out, doesn't get much time to hunt, or has an extremely limited area can't be questioned. The ones that bug me are the guys who consistently shoot small bucks to brag "I got MY buck" The rack means nothing, the deer means nothing, they just want to be a 'man'. That I don't understand.

Do I think the obsession over big bucks is hurting? NO. It's brought exposure, and hunting tactics and ideas to many hunters. It's played a role in boosting the economy, guys will drop all kinds of $$$ if they think it'll help em get the big one.

I don't think it's right to look down on someone if it's a trophy to them. I also don't think a person should shoot a buck unless it means something to them.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ones that bug me are the guys who consistently shoot small bucks to brag "I got MY buck"
Why does this "bug" you? Is it the bragging part of the shooting the small buck part that bugs you?

If it makes the guy happy to kill a small buck every year and he is happy enough to brag about it, whay does that bug you? How is that any different than shooting a big buck and bragging about it?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:58 PM

trophy hunting is not only good for the sport it is good for managment as well as long as you continue to shoot does and manage your population which is the way you will ever consitantly shoot trophy animals.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in agreement with Ryan and many others who have posted.As it relates to what Ryan has said I to am the most bothered by the hunter who "has" to shoot a buck,any buck or their own sense of self esteem or their thoughts of how they are perceived in their hunting community are diminished.To kill a buckbecause youthink you have to or to keep the string unbroken to me is an unhealthy obsession.I know very accomplished hunters that will go through an entire season with multipledoe tags in their pocket to kill a 11/2 year old buck in the tail end of the season.I don't know if I begrudge them that it, is more like I don't understand it.I do believe in QDM but as QDM'rs know it is habitat first,the animal second,and the hunter last.It is not antler restrictions and hunting snobberry.
Personally I will not kill a small buck for my area,has it corruptedme? I know it hasn't,my wife may disagree.I devote a lot of time to hunting and if I kill or don't kill my sense of worth is not hanging in the balance.I work at it and fortunately most years I am shooting good representative bucks for my area,but I am prepared not to kill a buck.
There certainly have been some negative aspects of antler fixation but I believe that is more representative of the mentality of the particular hunters that get caught up in it.We are all adults and can make decisions as to how we are going to pursue our passion,whether it is a balanced healthy way or a way that sacrifices are principles.Do i wonder why a guy or gal who has been hunting for 20 years and hunts a lot would shoot a young buck in an area loaded with doe's,yeah I wonder.I don't give them any grief about it,I just don't understand it.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think the topic is questioning if it is right to shoot big bucks.I don't beleive anyone here would say it is wrong for a hunter to go after big deer. I think the problem is with those who shoot big deer and look down on the guys/gals that choose to fill their tag. Imyself try to hold out for a nice buck every year. I dotry and shoot a few does though. I would neverlook down onfellow hunter that shot a spike or a fork. I would be just as happy for themas i wouldbe if they shot a huge deer. As sportsmen and women we should notput down someone elses quarry just because it is not up toyour standards. Do what makes you happy but don't spoil it for others.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that it is the vast reduction in available hunting land that is leading to more farmers leasing their land out and more "oufitters" showing up more than the supposed growing desire to shoot bigger deer. I honestly do not think that my tendencies would be a bit different if the hunting shows praised shooting small bucks. I have always been into hunting for 2 reasons. The first is to enjoy the outdoors and bring home some meat (does preferably here) and second for the challenge. I could literally shoot a small buck opening weekend almost every year if not every year. So, to me it wouldn't be fun without the extra challenge of having to shoot a mature buck. Notice I did not say record book deer. The rack is insignificant to me. I want an old, smartanimal that I have to work for.

I can't believe the slams against QDM on this thread. Practice it for a few years and I bet you change your mind. QDM doesn't mention rack size one time. It mentions age and buck to doe ratios. It encourages taking does. Also, taking a mature deer is not doing much to the herd because the 1.5 and 2.5 year olds do almost all of the breeding (over 90%). I don't know, I just guess that for an experienced hunter I can' tunderstand why so many would think my desire to challenge myself is corrupting hunting.

Sorry for the rambling. I wish EVERYONE luck in the coming season.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gus,
The part that bugs me is that the guy ISN'T happy with his deer, but HAS to shoot one so that he can brag. That's the part I don't understand. The horns get tossed in the cellar or the garbage. Yea he'll eat the meat, but does and doetags are quite plentiful around here, so why not shoot one of them? Ahhhh because it isn't manly to shoot the doe.

Quick Reply: Is the obsession to shoot big bucks corrupting bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.