Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Input please....best bow for my buck >

Input please....best bow for my buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Input please....best bow for my buck

Old 11-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Input please....best bow for my buck

Looking at picking up a 'new to me' bow in a month or two...possibly brand spanking new, but I doubt it. Obviously I've checked out the Mathews line, and they are ok, but I am by no means dead set on getting one 'cause they are the fad as of late.

I am in need of fairly short limbed bow with very low overall weight. I've recently had back surgery, so the lighter the load (even if only a pound), the better. Speed isn't that huge of an issue, but a bonus if 275 or better.

Looking at spending no more than 500 beans, and that is for all the bells and whistles too. Obviously used (which I have no problem with) will probably be my best bet, as I've already come across a few Mathews (F2, featherlight) interest me.

Thanks for your input fellas.

Chad

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

--Albert Einstein
Old 11-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Input please....best bow for my buck

Oregon, I have to say this because for me I couldn't be happier. This is the 3rd hunting season with my Martin Cougar Magnum. Its 36 1/2" axle to axle, 65% or 75% letoff adjustable(mine is at 65%), shoots very accurate, shoots fast, is quiet, reliable and can be purchased new for around $400. I was seriously considering trading for a new bow this year but it shoots so well I could not see the point in it just to have a brand new bow. Its a top of the line bow and in my opinion the best Martin has to offer for me. In fact I am so pleased I am buying another one next yr. Just my personal opinion and choice.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:11 PM

My dad just picked up a buckmaster hypertech, they go for about $280. A step down from there top of the line but IMO a great bow for the price. It has a very managable brace, 33" a-a, about 300 fps IBO and 75% let-off. It also looks and shoots very impressive.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:11 PM

Oregonhunter,
most every bow manufactured today is of high quality. The trick is to find the one that works for you and your shooting skills. If light is the only way to go look at the HCA carbon 4runner.
On a side note their a lot of changes going on in the industry right now and some of the problems that have been around since the start of the one cam craze are being addressed. Shoot every bow you can get your hands on then make a decision.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:36 PM

Well I like my PSE BEAST. I only paid 300 for it with a quiver, six carbons, true glo sights, peep sight and knocking point. Shoots 300 fps stock from factory. I like it but it is all in personal preference.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your input fellas....I will continue my search and check the specs on all those you mentioned.

If anyone else has a bow that they absolutely love, that didn't put them in the poorhouse, I'm all ears!

Oregon

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

--Albert Einstein
Old 11-05-2002, 12:22 AM

Chad,

I would be looking at BowTech's line of bows.

They are among the best in the business, have a lifetime warranty, and have several bows in your price range. You will also be supporting your local economy. They are based in Creswell Oregon I believe. If you ever have a problem and need to send it to the factory your turn around time should be very short. You won't get that with a used bow plus you won't have to hope you can find a used one that fits you. Where in Oregon do you live (I'm about 35min west of Salem)? You can give BT a call and they will give you a list of dealers in your area.

After doing a lot of research (over a year) I believe that, for what I was looking for, my BowTech Stalker was one of the best bows I could buy for the money. I paid $329.00 and had plenty of $ left over to purchase the accessories I wanted.

Just looked at your profile. Call Hook and Arrow Archery in Springfield. It should be in your phone book for Eugene also. Ask for Jamie, he is the owner. He is very knowledgeable and can set you up with something I'm sure you will be happy with.

Kirk

Edited by - notavegetarian on 11/05/2002 01:33:39
Old 11-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

OH don't forget to look at Darton line especially the mag33. It is light and has just about the smoothest draw around for your sore back. they make great bows. Good luck

brian

Old 11-05-2002, 05:28 AM

I love my Martin Panther Mag-it's 33" and is extrememly smooth. If you are looking at weight, I don't see how you could go wrong with a Parker. Their ultralight series (31" & 35&quot are well regarded.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 11-05-2002, 06:32 AM

I bought my first new bow in about 12 years and settled on the Buck Saber (part of the Champion line). They've cut some corners to make it a very affordable bow (molded plastic limb brackets for example), but it's a light, short reasonably fast bow that has I've been very pleased with during my shooting over the summer. The brace height is less than 7" which makes it a little less forgiving, but has not been a big issue to this point. I was able to get into a full custom setup with a lifetime warranty and several top of the line accessories (rest, sights, stabilizer) for right at $400. This was the first big-ticket item I've purchased online but the folks at www.huntersfriend.com really were good to work with.

Quick Reply: Input please....best bow for my buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.