Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Fall-Guy" type restraints.....(reels) >

"Fall-Guy" type restraints.....(reels)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Fall-Guy" type restraints.....(reels)

Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Fall-Guy" type restraints.....(reels)

Hey guys:

I hunted most of last year out of a Summit Viper and a Summit lock-on I moved maybe 3 times. This year.....my son needs a new climber.....and I'm going to give him my Viper and purchase a LOne Wolf hang-on.....and the climbing sticks. I also have about 3 sets of ladders.....the kind that can be strapped to trees and just left there.

My plan, this year (in my head, anyways) is to put up the ladders on the trees I want to utilize.....and purchase the extra hang-on hooks/straps from Lone Wolf. This way....I can just take my stand in with me when I go.......and hang it when I get there.

The issue that has me wondering is......I'm doing this for convenience. It would also be convenient to NOT have to use the lineman's rope every time up and down the tree (But I will NOT go up or down without SOME ype of fall restraint). I know they sell those fall guy systems (with the vest). Do they sell JUST the reels? If so.....couldn't you just leave that in the trees that you plan on hunting......and just quick-connect to it when you got there, each time? Doesn't this sound "convenient"?

Thoughts???

Jeff
Old 07-17-2006, 10:38 AM

Default RE: "Fall-Guy" type restraints.....(reels)

I used the Fall Guy 20+ Retractor last year and it worked like a charm.I left it all season on the tree i was hunting.When i get to the tree,i just click it on to my vest and up i go.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0032873416873a&navCount=3&podI d=0032873&parentId=cat20053&navAction=jump &cmCat=static_product&catalogCode=QT&r id=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20053& hasJS=true

Old 07-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Is this what you were looking for ?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0032873416873a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=fall+guy+restraint& N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall& Nty=1&Ntt=fall+guy+restraint&noImage=0

I'm thinking of getting one too , I already have a harness .
Old 07-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Rather than buy ONE of those reel things for $70, why not buy 3 of these for $89. The reel things are only 20 feet long where as these ropes are 30 Feet.
http://www.summitstands.com/Search.aspx?find=descender%20ropes
Old 07-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Iuse miller personal fall limiters. As a safety manager I can get them pretty easy. We swap them out every 5 years after the production date and get new ones. The ones I use have never been used. They are only 9ft but I add an extra lanyard to them and they work fine. Let me know if you are interested. I may be able to help you out
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Shortdraw

Rather than buy ONE of those reel things for $70, why not buy 3 of these for $89. The reel things are only 20 feet long where as these ropes are 30 Feet.
http://www.summitstands.com/Search.aspx?find=descender%20ropes
The man asked about a specific product , and the majority of stand users seldom exceed 20 feet anyway .
Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 PM

A prussic knot is easy to tie.I learned how to tie one on this board.All you need is rope coming down from your hang-on stand.Tie the Prussic knot to that rope and the other end to your safety vest.
Once you tie off the rope above your treestand,you can go up or down safely the rest of the season.