Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ? about rifles& why I like bows >

? about rifles& why I like bows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? about rifles& why I like bows

Old 07-16-2006, 01:39 AM

Default ? about rifles& why I like bows

I like bows because of the skills needed, extra challenge, need to approach targets closer, tracking the harvest- same reasons everyone else who likes bows has. My problem with rifles is, that I shoot lefty. I know logically its not really an issue, it's not unsafe or anything, but I just can't stand those empty shells flying out in front of my face!
So my question is, is this reasonable? Oram I being a wus and just need to get over it?

-Man, I don't like posting this, but lay it out honest for me, I can take it.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:51 AM

Default RE: ? about rifles& why I like bows

Wuss? Naw.
Just need to stop shooting a right hand rifle and get a leftie or a nuetral position rifle like a Ruger #1.

And sorry, but I think rifles have their own challenges.
Neither is better than the other, just different.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:11 AM

And sorry, but I think rifles have their own challenges.
Neither is better than the other, just different.
Yeah, didn't mean any disrespect for rifles, as someone who doesn't use them I just kind of went with what I hear from bowhunters on this one. I suppose shotguns offer a different challenge as well, but my little single barrel 12-gauge is sure a lot easier to aim than my bow is! LOL
Anyway, thanks for the answer. I've heard of left-handed rifles, but I always thought you had to pay a smith more than the gun's worth to make that kind of alteration.
I just know pops raises hell to this day over how, when he left the marines 30 years ago, he had to pay an outrageous fee for his pump shotgun to be turned lefty, and that was justfor the safety- it still throws the empty shells out in front of your face!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gun hunt rarely anymore. I also like bowhunting for the challenge.

Any yahoo or Joe Blow can get out in the woods once a year, pick up a rifle and shoot a deer.

Not just anyone can smoke deer with a bow...it's a whole other ballgame...and it's alot tougher to do.

Major leagues to high school ball if you will.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 AM

(well I had a great reply written, but when I went to post it the site had logged me off)

try#2

S'O.K.

If you are interested, most (almost all???) manufactorers make at least a few of their models in left hand versions so there is no need for a pricey conversion now-a-days. And you will find that they are normally the same retail price as the standard RH versions. It's just that there are not nearly as many made since there is not as much of a demand for them. (and as opposed to LH bows, I have seen many LH hunters and shooters who have no problem using a standard weapon) Or you could do the same as my father and brother have done at times(both lefties) and just try a non-specific rifle like a break action, falling block, etc.

now to fan some fires up
As to your statement about what some "other bowhunters" have said......
I have found that some bowhunters, usually "strictly bow" hunters, have something of a superiority complex going on and feel that they are better than everyone else. Namely the non-bow hunters.
That they are better at nearly everything else. Hunting, stalking, trailing, etc, as though it was strictly the providence of a bow hunter and that no skill or challenge existed with the use of "firearms" or at the least it was nowhere near the degree that existed in archery.
(now remember, I said some, not all. )
It makes me laugh when I see it come from someone who's bow is decked out with more high-tech gadgets and equipment than youwill find onmost of those nasty rifles, using every scent-eliminator, scent lure, call, camo, tracking, blind/stand, range-finding gadget and/or trick of modern technology. (and they stil can't outdo, out hunt, or out stalk my 70yo father who hunts in street cloths and thinks of those "gadgets" as nothing more than "better ways to harvest more hunters". And he's probably right, like the bigger, better fishing lure. Gauranted to catch more fisherman's dollars )

Bows, crossbows and firearms are nothing more than very advanced rock-throwers. Just some throw their "rock" farther and faster. They all take an equal amount of skill to master and use. (if "those" guns were so easy,everyone would be a world-class shooter andnever-fail hunter with them) What's more, I have hunted plenty of places that were so difficult, dense, that it doesn't matter what you use, you will always be stuck having to get into "bow range", yet they also have been at times a placeor time or game that was not suited for using a bow. At least not ethically for fair chase or undue suffering.

(And now I get to wait and see how many people reply to my "superiority complex" comments )
Old 07-16-2006, 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: FroMan

Any yahoo or Joe Blow can get out in the woods once a year, pick up a rifle and shoot a deer.
Same can be said for at least a modern compound bow. God knows I know enough people who only pick up their bows the week of the season.

Not just anyone can smoke deer with a bow...it's a whole other ballgame...and it's alot tougher to do.
Not really, otherwise the success rate on rifle season would be ALOT higher. It still comes down to the person who practices will get the opportunity, and will make the shot a good one. There is nothing that makes up for lack of practice and the accuired skill it brings.

Major leagues to high school ball if you will.
Like trying to compare Baseball and Hockey, two separate things each with it's own difficulties and skill sets.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drewm2
I know logically its not really an issue, it's not unsafe or anything, but I just can't stand those empty shells flying out in front of my face!
So my question is, is this reasonable? Oram I being a wus and just need to get over it?

DUH... [&:]Yes sir, try shooting a LEFT HANDED rifle!

You know they say that the onlydumb question is the one not asked,.... however, this one seriously challenges this ol' saying???
Old 07-16-2006, 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: FroMan

I think there a lot of gun hunters that would dissagree with that, especiallys ones in shotgun only states. I know quite a few guys that have been hunting for years and never shot a deer.

And just so you know, I killed a deer the first time I ever went hunting with a bow. I practice for about a year and then went hunting. Half an hour into bow season on the opening day I shoot a nice 7 point, could have shot a bigger 10 point but I didn't think I had a good enough shot.

The weapon does not make the hunter.

You do know you could apply the same ethics to gun hunting don't you? You don't have to snyper them from 200 yards away with a rifle. Use a slug gun and wait until they get close, then shoot them. There is no law that says you have to shoot them far away. And if you have a problem with shells flying in front of your face try a single shot, most of them work really well for left handed people. Or just don't shoot more than twice. If gun hunting is so much easier than a bow why would you need a second shot anyway? Or you could try a muzzle loader as well. I hunt with all three.

I think most in my area bow hunt because it extends their season by quite a bit. There are also less people out in the woods. The mojority of the people I know that bow hunt only would like you to believe they do it because of the challenge, but one of the reasons is there are just too many people out during gun season in my area.

I have also met plenty of those eletist archery types that are actually not very good hunters and worse archers. Some I don't even feel should be in the woods. I have met gun only hunters that are much better hunters and sportsman than they will ever be.

Just my opinions anyway.

By the way, I love archery, but I gun and bow hunt and my preferance is actually slug gun hunting. I have a hard time sitting in a tree looking at my bow. It is nice out and it is just hanging there with that "please shoot me" look. And I think "Wow, I could be at home actually shooting my bow right now.". But to many hunters a bow is just another tool in the arsenal, and one that extends your time in the field doing what you enjoy.

Paul
Old 07-16-2006, 07:03 AM

Every weapon has its own challenges. Truthfully a modern compound bow isn't a great deal more challenging to shoot than a rifle. Modern compounds and muzzleloaders have advanced so far as to make them non-bows and non-muzzleloaders IMO.

You want a challenge ? Shoot traditional
Old 07-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

A man or woman who is killing big bucks every year on public land qualifies as being in the hunting elite regardless of the weapon they use!Now if they happen to be strictly bow hunting then they are the best of the best.
Personally I love it all,and while I believe bow hunting to be the biggest challenge I wouldn't give up the feeling of covering miles ands miles of ground with a rifle in my hands,or putting the sneak on a great buck through the thick stuff.There is more to it than just the challenge,there is the entire experience!Thats my opinion any way.

Quick Reply: ? about rifles& why I like bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.