Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How old should the little guy be? >

How old should the little guy be?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How old should the little guy be?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default How old should the little guy be?

My oldest boy is going to be 6 (Sept 14)two days before the Wisconsin bow opener.(Sept 16) He is tall enough that he could pass for 8. But anyway he is trying to sweet talk his way into going hunting with me this year, at least a couple times. What do you guys/gals think? I have 3 or 4 box blinds on the property so there isn't a question of him being safe.Both my boys havebeen in them after season while we were shed hunting. The other ploblem is if I bring him what do I do about the other little guy.He is 4. I myself would feel fine with either of the boys out there. Not at the same time though. My wife and her family I think are a little hesitant in the idea. What do ya think
Old 07-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How old should the little guy be?

I would take them with you to the stand. They have to learn all the little details and tricks to hunting sometime and its better when there young. Yea you mite not see any deer but you got to remember that when your gone your kids are goin remember everything you taught them and they will pass that down. I think i was around 5 or 6 when my dad took me i dont think we ever saw a deer but he was very pacient with me and never yelled at me. Plus you have to let them have fun. Dont yell at them for not being quiet or droppen a glove out of the stand its all about haven fun. Let them have fun cuz if they think its boreing its goin be hard to get them back in the stand with you. So i say take with you.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:18 AM

I think take the 6 year old, he had to wait this long to go hunting, so the 4 year old should have to wait till he is 6. I think that would make it far enough.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not? If he's hunting he'll need to meet the minimum requirements for draw weight,hunter safety and liscense. There is a minimum age for firearms not sure if for bow. Asan observer I see no problem. If you don't see deer he might get bored.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never too young to start if they want to spend time with Dad and you make all the necessary arrangements to ensure their excitement and comfort and, you don't take hunting too serious when they are there.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Never too young to start if they want to spend time with Dad and you make all the necessary arrangements to ensure their excitement and comfort and, you don't take hunting too serious when they are there.
I agree , I started my grandkids out as young as 5 . Talk to your wife and assure her that they will be safe , she has some say there , your inlaws do not . Take the boys out separately .
Old 07-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

He won't be hunting. A pair of binocs will be his only weapon. I will share some pic with you this fall. But I think you guys are right. He will be going. You know I told the ladies in the offices around me that I was thinking about it and they flipped. Glad to see some folks share my opinion
Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not? There good be some great memories made while he is that young, not to mention all of the good lessons that could be learned.

Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 AM

Copper, it sounds like we are in the same boat. I have two boys also 6 and 4. I have taken the oldest boy out for the past two squirrel seasons, the first year just to sit and watch and let him see and experience the woods, and the second year I was actually going to let him shoot one, but never got one to stand still. However, after the hunt, we (myself, my son, and my father)set up a can and he hit it all three times he tried with my father's .22 rifle. (I was very proud, but I think my father was even more proud). This year, if the weather isn't too bad or if we get our hunting shack built, I am going to take him doe hunting. Also, I promised my youngest son that I will take him squirrel hunting for the first time this year. This is the first season in a long time that I've been this excited about. Take them hunting and have a great time. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

I take him at 6, but probably not a 4 (but it all depends on their maturity).

Can they sit quietly? Do they have patience?

In any case, I would defintely take them as soon as they are ready (whatever that age may be). You and your wife are the best judges to that.

On a related note, I think all kids should be required to go hunting even if only to observe. After they do that, then they should be required to visit a slaughter house if only to observe, so they can see where their hamburgers and chicken nuggets come from and how they are processed.

If this was all required, I think we would not be losing the younger hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.