Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best bow HUNT ever... Story...Pic >

Best bow HUNT ever... Story...Pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best bow HUNT ever... Story...Pic

Old 07-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best bow HUNT ever... Story...Pic

Well, it was last Oct 15th, 2005. My5 yr old son and 5 yr old Nephew (6 now), who happened to be born on the same day, have the same middle name, fathers have the same first name, BRAD, and born on Jan 6th, 6 hours apart (Counsins), got to tag along with on a bowhunt. I asked them 2 days before the big hunt if they'd like to tag along and see if we could shoot a deer. Of course they said yes!!!!!!! My nephew kept asking, are you gonna shoot something, are you gonna shoot something. I said well, it something BIG comes in. Well, eventually I have in and told them, if it had Antlers I'll shoot it. They got all excited. Now don't get me wrong, I all for Deer Management and letting the little ones walk, which i do all the time, but this was a unique instance.
Anyways... Its the evening of the hunt and i have some pictures of a couple little bucks on my camera along with a bear from the previous days that i showed them, and they were excited as hell. So I was thinking this could be a great experience for the future hunters.
I brought both little boys to my Moms house first all decked out in Camo and dressed warm. They kinda looked like the little brother off of "The Christmas Story", when mom bundles him up so tight he can barely walk. Grandma, had to take pictures and give them both a little flashlight and a bag of goodies to take along. I knew then this was going to be a very interesting and nerve testing hunt. But i was prepared..
We head out and my dad tagged along and went and hunted his stand about 3-4 hundred yards away. We got to the DOG HOUSE and set everything up. I had to carry in two video cameras, three chairs and a blanket, along with other miscleaneous works. The two cameras were for two different angles on the shot. One from inside the Dog House and one for the passthrough, Just like FITZY.. lol
After we finally get all set up we sit down and the questions start..WOW. Anybody who has a Five Year old, know what i'm talking about.. TIMES THAT by TWO...LOL I dont know how many times i had to tell them to Shhhhhhhss, if you keep moving around so much and making noise, no deer will come. Then they get hungry, Grandmas bag of goodies gets ripped opened and my god, every deer within a mile could hear them two kids.
Finally i get them settled down and quite for awhile and my nephew spots a deer a long ways away on the ridge and tells me its a doe. I put the Binocs on and ITS A BUCK.. They get excited. Are you gonna shoot it, are you gonna shoot ??? Yes, if it comes in, I'll shoot it.. Before you know it, here comes a bear. The bear come from the same spot and the deer takes off and the bear walks right to us. You should have seen the eyes on them boys, when that bear made it within 15 yrds before i stuck my arm out and chased it away.. It was awesome.. LOL
About 30 minutes later, we hear crunch crunch crunch, from behind and right of us. Its another buck, and then another. Two bucks now are making their way in. A nice fork and a NICE 6 pointer. The cameras are rolling and i can hear two little hearts pounding along with mine. The 6 pointer finally makes his way in and I draw and i shoot. The first thing said was, "DID YOU GET HIM?", I said Yeah, I hit him, shhhh listen!!!! We listened for the fall, but nothing. I told them we had to wait for awhile and be quiet.
Eventually, we made it out and found the arrow. It was a little bit farther back than i would have like, The shot that is. I told them lets get out of here quietly and come back later.
We left, Questions were NON STOP whole way home to grandmas. gained my composer after all the excitement and called a couple buddies to help track.
We made it back and found a good bloodtrail and then after a while it petered out and we thought we had heard a deer jump up. I told them, lets get out of here. The last thing i wanted to do was loose a deer afterhaving the boys with me and this being their first experience. I explained to the little ones we had to wait till tomorrow morning, or we might never find him.
We walked out and noticed a couple drops of blood on the way out. The deer was headedright to where i park mytruck. Wefinally get out andI turn my truck around and just start driving out and there is the buck 15 yrds offthe right side of theroad bedded down. I just caught him with my headlights.
The boys got all excited AGAIN, but told them we have to left him expire, whichhe was almost anyways. He was bobbing his head. So we leave and head to grandmas again to tell them the story.
I still wanted to wait until the next morning, not only to make sure to not jump him, but to instill some patience in the two young hunters.
Morning came and i woke them up and they jumped up like it was christmas day. We headed out and got to where we parked and walked in the woods, and there he was.
Here is a picture of the boys and the buck in the spot where we found him..
I hoped you enjoyed my LONG story, and i'm sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best bow HUNT ever... Story...Pic

haha great story thanks for sharing
Old 07-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Very good story. I bet those youngens learned a valuable lesson.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Great story enjoyed it greatly and good job on teaching those young hunters and building the fires of hunting into them may those flames never burn out.

Trytan
Old 07-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Great story! Enjoyed the read.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cool
Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and pretty good pic too.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:04 PM

That's awesome!

Good job taking them both hunting by the way. The only way we'll have hunters next generation is by taking them and teaching themnow.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very enjoyable story and congratulations.

Just so I have this straight.....I have to write it down....both born the same day with dad's named Brad....your Brad and your sisters husband is named Brad and they are your kids right? That's cool in itself.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

My name is Brad and my Wife' Brother's name is Brad.. The one on the left (Tyler) is my nephew, my wife's brother's son. The one on the right(Alex)is mine. They were both born on Jan 6th 2000, both have the same middle name (Ray), both fathers names are Brad, (Mine and my Brother-in-law), born 6 hours apart and the same doctor. When we went into labor and made it to the hospital, we found it crazy that Tylers mom was there too in labor. DONT ASK what we wereALL doing 9 months prior either..LOL

The whole deal made the Front page of our newspaper and was quite a big deal.. Same

Quick Reply: Best bow HUNT ever... Story...Pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.