Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
downhill shooting >

downhill shooting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

downhill shooting

Old 11-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default downhill shooting

Do you hold low on downhill shots with a bow as you would a rifle? It seems to me that the arrow comes out pretty flat. Thanks for the help.

Edited by - Christine B on 11/05/2002 19:45:16
Old 11-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: downhill shooting

First off a arrow flight is not flat, it must orginate at level with the ground and end on the ground. Causing the same curve that any object thrown or fired...physics class grade 9. Now it depends on the distance, etc to answer the question, but yes would be the answer based on the above logic. However the curve that the flight path of the object takes to the target will indicate what and if any adjustments is required. I generally aim at my intended target and fire...with no adjustment...kill zone is pie plate size so an inch won't make the difference if you have good placement. If you have deer jumping strings in your area, aim low like heart and then if they jump you got both lungs, if they don't you got heart.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uphill or downhill you will always need to aim lower than on level ground. The difference depends on 3 things-projectile speed, angle of slope, and distance to object. If you have a very fast projectile shooting on a slight angle and a relatively close object the difference is not enough to worry about. Change any of those 3 things (like a 45 degree slope or out to 300 yards with rifle) and you need to start compensating for things.

Best thing to do is set up a practice area and take some shots similar to what you might find in the wild.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since I hunt IL there isn't much reason for me to have researched this(since it's so flat out here), but in the last year I read 2 articles in hunting/shooting magazines about compensating for this type of shot.
Both of them said that since gravity only acts on the projectile for the horizontal portion of its trajectory, that you can aim dead on. The trick is that you have to use the horizontal distance between you and the target, not the direct, angled distance.
In other words, if you are 20 feet up in your tree stand and are aiming at an animal that your rangefinder tells you is 30 yards away, and you use your 30 yard pin, you will certainly hit high. The horizontal distance will be less than the angled 30 yard reading and therefore you do need to hold slightly low.
Like POWER said, it will only make a huge difference when shooting on steep angles like when the deer is near the base of your tree.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.

Edited by - Bulzeye on 11/05/2002 12:22:25

Edited by - Bulzeye on 11/05/2002 12:23:48
Old 11-06-2002, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right you are Buzeye. If you know the true horizontal distance to the target that is all you need to use for the shot. For bowhunting, if you note the distance between the base of the tree your stand is in to some common landmarks (green bush, oak tree, big rock) and know that distance when the deer walks by you can just use that distance for the shot.

Since I'm a rifle hunter I'm more concerned about shots over 200 yards at slopes from 30 degrees and greater. Usually it's only a couple inches but a 200+ yard shot on a 45 degree slope can be more significant so I try to think in terms of that on these kind of questions. If the slope is pretty good I usually try to figure the amount of slope and compensate accordingly.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

As most 3Ders know, it is the horizontal distance as stated above. If a pole goes straight up from the deer...your shot would be the distance from you to the pole straight out from you. If the pole is straight out from you at 20 yards, you would shoot your 20 yard pin. The deer could be 30 or 40 yards from you as you look at him (depending how steep the hill), but the shot is only 20 yards as that is the distance gravity is affecting the arrow.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to add 1 comment.Yes,the horizontal plain is what you want to shoot for in a hunting situation,but the actuall distance will be slightly less than the horizontal plain.This is not something that needs to be worried about in hunting because it will usually only be about a 1 yard difference on extreme angles at hunting distances.

On the otherhand,if your shooting competition at 80 yards on a downhill slope of 25%,then you might want to know this info.

I figured this shot with my bow on Archers Advantage.80 yard slope range at 25% equals a horizontal range of 72.5 yards.If you shoot it for 72.5 you would miss by 5.2".The shot should be made by using 70.3 yards.Also if you shoot it for 80 yards you would miss by 24.3".

Edited by - tfox on 11/06/2002 16:28:45
Old 11-10-2002, 11:46 AM

Do you mean to tell me that with a brand new Bushnell Rangefinder....If I'am up 20 feet in a tree and I range the deer at 30 yards I'am going to have to "COMPENSATE" and shoot low each time or I will "ALWAYS" be hitting high????
Old 11-10-2002, 04:17 PM

You are correct DeerMe, if you are 20' up in a tree you will ALWAYS have to compensate and shoot lower.

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>
Old 11-10-2002, 04:35 PM

Pinmaster- If I'am 20 feet up in my tree stand and my range finder say's the deer is 30 yard's and I'am shooting at a 45 degree angle how low must I aim to compensate? On the ground I'am "Dead" on at 30 yard's!!!

Quick Reply: downhill shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.