Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Misery Loves Company..So Join In !! >

Misery Loves Company..So Join In !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Misery Loves Company..So Join In !!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Misery Loves Company..So Join In !!

Ok folks I'm not gonna get on a big soap box here. You all know the facts.
SO,
I'm gonna try and give up the Copenhagen. 10+ years of dippin my beloved snuff. Why? hmmm I dunno, I guess 1st and foremost is my kids my boy 2 1/2 and my little girl now 4 months. Man, I cherish the time with them and I don't see any reason to jeapordize seeing them grow up.
Would I rather have a dip now or be with him when he arrows his 1st deer? Maybe the ramifications are not that great, maybe it won't happen to me, but is it worth the risk??

So what are your reasons for giving up the nicotine..be it dip, chew, cigarettes? Maybe you have other demons you need to get rid of? Well it's the off season ,maybe we can have them licked before we climb in our stands for the season?

So join in and let's lean on each other for support. Maybe this can remain at the top till the seasons start??

Any takers???

Old 07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Misery Loves Company..So Join In !!

Sounds like a great reason to stop chewing. Never chewed, never smoked. I like my beer but it's not going to kill me and every now and again I swear too much so, I'll work on not swearing..
Old 07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I quit smoking last year the day before PA'sarchery opener. I actually didn't intend on quitting permanently, I bought a box of Nicoderm CQ patches with the intentions of not smoking in the woods last season at all. After the first day I said to myself well I tortured myself for a full day, why not 2 days? After 2 days, it wasn't really that bad since I was on the patch. I followed the schedule recommended on the box and after about a month I knew I wasn't going back, why would I have tortured myself for a month just to start again?

I haven't touched one since. I really wish I had the self control to enjoy a good cigar once in a while, but I know I don't so I won't even touch those.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only vise that I have is being a loyal Mathews shooter and to date I haven't found a cure for that. Good luck with your challenge. I'm trying to cut back on the sweets and I know how hard that has been so I can only imagine how hard it would be to quit nicotene. You have good motivation so GOOD LUCK.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

I smoked cigarettes (and other stuff) from high school until I was 25. When I got connected with God through faith in Christ, He took away the other stuff, but the cig's were a hard habit to break. I'd leave the house determined to go the whole day without a puff, then stop to get gas, and find a pack in my shirt pocket (didn't even realize I bought 'em!).
Only after really learning to rely on His strength was I able to break free.
I'd say good reasons to quit are just what you said, GR8atta2d - to be around for your kids and family. Also to be in better health WHILE you're here so you can do what you do better - like dragging a big buck out of the woods

Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 PM

back to badatta for a week.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I quit chewing in 1990 after my girlfriend (now wife) quit smoking. She quit because she knew I didn't like it. So, I thought the least I could do was quit my chewing. We both quit cold turkey. I found it pretty easy. Though I understand it being hard for lots of people. Good luck kicking the habit. You can do it. Just keep remembering your reasons (kids).
Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

GR8atta2d, I can appreciate where you are coming from. Congrats on your decision and I'll do what I can to help ya as I could use some distractions myself. Ive beenusingboth leaf tobacco and dipfor 26 years this year. Earlier this year, about 2 months ago I started feeling a lump inside my throat.The first few days I thought I was getting a soar/strept throat but it didnt go away. I found out it wasnt cancer but for a few weeks it scared the living @#@$^% outta me. I havent had a pinch since although it isa hard addiction to overcome, I made a promise to the good Lord ifhe helped me get through that I would never dip again. Im not about break my promise and more importantly to give up my family, friends and every other wonderful aspect of my life for a dip. Ive been taking up new hobbies like irritating Rob and Buckeye to get me over the jonesing addiction thing [8D]
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM

First off congratulations on your choice to quit, you have to want to quit to make it happen that is for sure. I too dipped for about 10 years, cant tell you how many times I "tried" to quit, only I never really tried very hard.

December 24th 2004 my then 2 yr old son was diagnosed with leukemia, after seeing all that he went through that first week in the hospital (and still goes through) I vowed to quit and have not touched it since. It sure isn't worth the risk to me anymore.

To be totally honest with you the hardest part about quiting for me was not having something in my mouth, after about 2-3 days the nicotine craving was gone, but the craving to have something in my mouth continues to this day. I suppose that is mostly a psychological thing, but it sure is a strong craving to have to overcome.

Good luck, I am sure that you can do it.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Its hard to give up copenhagen. I pretty much have, break down every now and then when working alot. Now I got to work on the smokes.I have my first son dueNov. 1rst so i know your feeling. Good luck. By the way I still carry anEMPTY can in my pocket. Kinda like a crutch.

Quick Reply: Misery Loves Company..So Join In !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.