Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What to do with the meat?? >

What to do with the meat??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do with the meat??

Old 07-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default What to do with the meat??

My question is how do you guys and gals put up your kills. I have always froze the meat. Last week I hired a fellow that cans his deer. He gave me a can and it had no gamie tast at all.

So how do you do it??????????
Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What to do with the meat??

I cut and freeze mine , if you de-fat the meat completely and get the silver skin off the gamey taste all but disappears . I also soak mine overnight in milk before preparing it just to be sure .
Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

We freeze some and can some. The canned meat makes the best bar-b-que that you've ever tasted. It's also good for stew.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

i cut it up and freeze it
Old 07-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

My deer are corn fed and taste like steak without the fat. I cut it up and freeze it all.
c7
Old 07-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm - I agree with everything that's been said, but can never give a short answer.
I believe the key to not having a "gamey" taste is in the preparation - from the minute it's killed to the table.
I gut the deer and get the hide off as soon as possible. Don't leave a deer hanging in a tree in hunting camp for a week with the hide on and expect it to taste good.
I cool the carcass as soon as possible. If it's above 40 degrees F, it goes into a cooler (gutted, skinned and in a cheesecloth game bag) to hang for a week. If it's between freezing and 40, I hang it myself in my garage - out of the sunlight and away from dust and insects.
When processing, the only bones I cut through are those of the pelvis and lower legs. I believe that dragging the bone marrow across the meat while cutting chops and steaks is mostly to blamefor that gamey taste. I cut all the meat off the bone without cutting through the bones.
As mentioned, remove all fat and as much silver skin as possible.
We usually freeze most everything, but have canned some of the scraps and small, unidentifiable pieces. Just reheat it and serve it with whatever you like - OR - mix some BBQ sauce in it and serve it on buns.
For the frozen cuts, just cook 'em anyway you would cook beef.
As far as "tasting just like beef", if it did, I might not hunt deer; we like the taste of venison - but I also know what that strong gamey taste is.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys
Old 07-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I cut and freeze mine , if you de-fat the meat completely and get the silver skin off the gamey taste all but disappears .
I agree with this but would also add that the most important thing when it comes to the gamey taste is... where did you shoot it? If you have clean chest cavity, head or neck shot ( I prefer the chest), you won't have gamey taste as compared to when you make a messy shot, guts, liver etc. The second most important thing is how well you field dress it and clean it prior to butchering. Third, don't bandsaw through the bones. This will drag marrow and bone fragments through your meat and contaminate it with that tallow taste. Yuck!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

Freeze mine or make jerky. I have a buddy that cans his deer too. Puts a piece of beef tallow in hit when canning. No game taste. My deer has no game taste either asI soak mine in salt water in the fridge for 3-5 days changing the water daily. This draws the blood out and you have no game taste.HCH
Old 07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cut it, wrap it, freeze it, eat it. No specialties here.

Quick Reply: What to do with the meat??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.