Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Growth

Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Antler Growth

By late June and early July, what percentage of antler growth has been accumulated for the year?

The only reason I ask is the other day I noticed a dead whitetail lying in a field near our farm. I went to further investigate and found whatwould have beena promising buck in a few years(He was obviously in full velvet). It had been hit on the road but ended up dying in the field.

I was a little disappointed when I left since the buck wasn't hit but 200 yards from the 10 acre woods behind our farm I am planning on bowhunting this year.

It's been a while since I have visited the site but since season is just around the corner I figured I would drop in and educate myself again.

This buck was far from mature, but what percentage of antlermass is present around this time?

Old 07-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Antler Growth

Antler growth will continue until the antlers start to harden mid to late Sept. Now this is speculation on my part but right now, July 2nd I'd say 60-65 percent growth at this point meaning the have alot of growing to do still...Any one else have data?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

I'd say the 60 to 65-percent on averageis about right. I've heard thatdeer can start growing at different times and end at different times. That said, there are probably deer out there that are done growing and some that are just getting going.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Id say your real close they stillhave July all of august and maybe a week in september to go so he wasnt complete yet....
Old 07-03-2006, 08:56 PM

50%
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 AM

I would say that antler growth depends on what part of the country you're in. I live in NC and have seen bucks with short, thick, knobby antlers in July and by November they are quite impressive racks. I also hunt my buddy's farm in Steuben County (New York) and have seen bucks up therethat had fully formed racks (except the tines were still rounded, not pointed) in July. Look at the buck on the ChasingGame webcam...his rack is not well-developed, but judging from the girth of the mainbeams I would say he is going to have a good size set of antlers. That cam is in Augusta, Georgia.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

70 percent by the end of July.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

70 percent by the end of July.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

This site should help. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/antler_growth/
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM

I don't know about anyother states but the bucks that I of seen from the roads and the few that I have pics. of thay look like that thay are only starting to grow down here. I live in centerl Alabama is the right for them to just now be starting to grow? Are bucks don't go into rut intell mid to late Jan. So I'm thanking that thay just start later than the bucks in other states.

Quick Reply: Antler Growth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.