Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 High Fence  considered cheating?? >

High Fence considered cheating??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fence considered cheating??

Old 07-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Default High Fence considered cheating??

self explanatory. I think it can be in a way, especially if they gots a stock pile of deers there to shoot.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Fence considered cheating??

I dont think its cheating but I dont think its hunting either. Its in its own class. I went to fenced in areas for exotics. Its fun but I dont consider it hunting because you dont get that adrenaline rush like you do in the wild. JMHO
Old 07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

I only hunt free ranging animals.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

The kind they have in some areas where you're out in a range of hundreds or thousands of acres approximates fair chase enough for me to stay off their case , but the ones that have sprung up here , the largest of which was 1,100 acres with small killing pens of less than 10 acres are unacceptable . Size of the ranch is a determining factor , along withterrain and escape cover .
Old 07-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't lump all high fence hunts into one category. There are many nowadays that use fences for management reasons more than containment. There is a ranch out west that has over 20000 acres enclosed in a high fence. I have to think that it would make no real difference in that instance whether the fence were there or not. What the fence offers in that instance is the ability to control the genetics, disease, and predators on the property, thus making huge bulls and bucks possible. So, I guess my argument would be that it isn't the fence that is the problem, it is the lust for huge racks and forgetting about the true thrills of hunting. JMHO.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey fellows, don't play into it.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:13 PM

What the fence offers in that instance is the ability to control the genetics, disease, and predators on the property, thus making huge bulls and bucks possible.
While the animals in this instance are most likelyvery much 'wild', the other factors that you've mentioned can still be manipulated. The deer still can't get out. By being able to control the deer on the inside, you've created an unfair advantage.

I've never hunted behind a high fence in my life, so these tens-of- thousands-of-acres ranches may be different, but I just can't get over the 'containment' issue.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Sssssssssssttttttttttuuuuuuuuuupppppppiiiiiiiidddd ddddddd. Just my thought.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Cheating? I think so. Kinda like shootin' fish in a barrel. Just my opinion. And if they shoot all the smaller deer they have nothing but big genes goin' around. Cheating. And if it's not illegal they could bring in deer that are already have "big" genes. That would be even worse.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:03 PM

i guess my only question is, if the ranch is that big, then why high fence it? if the deer never know the fence is there, why not just put a low 4 strand barbed wire fence up instead of an 8' fence??

Quick Reply: High Fence considered cheating??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.