Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to Bowhunting >

New to Bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bowhunting

Old 06-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default New to Bowhunting

I'm usually over at the gun hunting forum but I am new to the bowhunting game. I'm sure you guys get this all the time but I guess I will ask once more. I would really like to get a bow this summer but am not sure where to start. There are so many different aspects of a bow and I'm not sure I know what most of them are. I know what draw lenght is and I guess pull back pounds but that is about it. What are the best bang for the buck bow's out there? I'm not looking to spend a fortune right off. I want to see if I'm going to stick with it or not. Just head me in the right direction and give me some solid info to do a little more research. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM

Default RE: New to Bowhunting

hoyt makes some nice beginner bows that are above "beginner" quality....if that makes any sense.
I started with a browning rage, but I was pretty young. I would go with a hoyt.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

ok thanks. Any suggestions on specifications?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Find your area bow shops and go take a look,and talk to them.Brand,who cares ! we all have our favorites.Go with the one that feels the most comfortable too you.The way it feels in your hands,the way it draws,and what is in your price range.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:14 PM

For your first bow, a long Axle to Axle length and long brace height bow would be best. These features make a bow more "forgiving" of errors in shooting form.

A few years ago, 40" axle to axle (ATA) was considered normal and 36" ATA would have been considered short. Today, it's hard to find anything OVER 36" ATA. Most of the high end bows today are short but have a longer riser which mimics the effects of a long ATA.

A brace height of 7.5" or more is also advisable.

For starters, browse all of the manufacturers websites (they all have them now) and look for those features in bows in your price range. Make a list of what interests you and then find a couple archery shops in your area and try them out.

Make sure that each shop accurately measures your draw length and sets up a bow that matches that length.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM

i am new to bow hunting also. I went to my pro shop and they set me up with a Reflex Highlander. I love it and the price. Same company as Hoyt!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: rookiebowhuntr_PA

i am new to bow hunting also. I went to my pro shop and they set me up with a Reflex Highlander. I love it and the price. Same company as Hoyt!
This is an excellent choice, in fact, one of the best there is. The Reflex Excursion is just about as good, but around $100 less. The absolute best advice you can get is first of all.......Set a price, and stick to it. Then, head to the shop and shoot as many as you can in that price range. As was mentioned before, longer ATA and longer brace height = more forgiving, but the tradeoff is speed. Speed takes away from forgiveness, and for a beginning bowshooter, forgiving is the name of the game. Shoot as many as you can, then decide.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 PM

reflex makes the most forgiving bows i have ever shot personally. and the prices are great. check em out before making a decision
Old 06-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the replies so far. Keep them coming. A couple of quick questions....what is "let off"? and what are some of the accessories I will need?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

those reflex bows are starting to look pretty good to me. What is the brace height?

Quick Reply: New to Bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.