Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Velvet Roadkill

Old 06-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Velvet Roadkill

My buddy picked this buck up on a highway and made a call to his PGC friend and with a permit had it mounted. This was a couple years ago and he got it back, brought it up and we hung it on my wall to take a couple pics and share with you. It grossed 121". I'd love to have had it at 20 yards come fall that year.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Velvet Roadkill

Man that's the smallestbuck I've ever seen!?[:-]

Old 06-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice job on the mount. Looks great.
Too bad it got hit and you didn't get a chance to stick him!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awfully thin hide on those summertime bucks - you usually don't get to see that b/c their winter coat is coming in by archery season.

I don't even know how the taxidermists can skin the ears on a summer kill without ripping it, it's like celophane. The taxi definitely earned his money on that one. Not much fleshing to do, I suppose.

Nice mount though, the detail in the form really shows through when the hair is short like that. I like the wall pedestal - very unique.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool mount, not many people will ever have the opportunity to see a mount like that. Very unique!
Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 PM

Must be nice to find something on the road like that.

Nice looking walls you got there Rob.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a nice buck. If you don't mind me asking, what type of permit did your buddy have to get from the PGC for that. I'm sure it was something different than the normal roadkill permit, right?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:29 PM

we had a 21+ pointer running around my place. then one of my neighbors hit him with his truck. he dont hunt and when he told me he hitthe bucki asked if he got the head and rack he said no. he told me where he hit the monster deer, time i got there the whole head was cut off! from the time he hit the buck to the time i got there was around 45 minutes! ive been hunting this deer for a few years and its a shame i didnt get him. very smart buck! o well he gots a younger brother and a few sons around here!
nice mount your buck would of been a dandy he he lived a few more years.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice 90 dollar permit roadkill
Old 06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

That is cool. I shot a buck on opening day a few years back a bow kill. It grosses 125 but did not have any velvet. However, the short hair, shape of the rack and such, gives it a similar look. I don't have a pic of the mount, so here is the deer.

Quick Reply: Velvet Roadkill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.