Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My 1st 3d Round....Ouch! Day 2 >

My 1st 3d Round....Ouch! Day 2

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 1st 3d Round....Ouch! Day 2

Old 06-28-2006, 08:22 AM

Default My 1st 3d Round....Ouch! Day 2

Well it was my first ever 3 shoot and I am excited but now realize just how hard it actually is. The ASA is having a 3 day open shoot just 5 mile from my house so I tried it out. I get there and have no idea what I am in for and they signed me in the open class ( I am a Hunter).

I see all the guys with the tricked out Bows and stabalizers as long as most homes in the area. I asked how long does it take for a round and she said two hours or more for the 20 targets. Well I was done in 1hr 10 min.

The course layout was much harder than I ever amagined, with some targets 45 yards or more and only a 8in window to shoot through (Which I would never ever take on a live animal)

When It was all said and done I lost 3 arrows, which was my only three misses. I hit only 1 12 ring and a few 10 and 8and many many 5. The total was a 113 ouch! I am going back again today and try to redeeem myself and find my arrows.

Great fun and I see how it can make you a better hunter butit can cost you as I lost 30 bucks out in the woods and that chaps me!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My 1st 3d Round....Ouch!

Why did they sign you up in the Open Class?

They have a Hunter Class 40yd max and also a Bow Novice class for new 3D guys which I think is a 30yd max.

To start with hop into the class you belong.....you'll have more fun and lose less arrows.Then you can move up as you desire and your skills improve.

IT is addicting though so be careful.[:-]
Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 AM

If you have a moveable site, they will put you in the open class every time.....
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

dont under stand why they put you in open class where I live you pick the class you feel comfortable with. Have fun and 3D is very addictive so keep shooting
Old 06-28-2006, 10:08 AM

I think they put me in open because we did not get there until 3:30 and she did not even think I would finish the round in time to turn in my card. Thay are paying money to the amatuer class 300,200 and 100. I am going to ask what class you must be in to get paid.

I looked back to last years results and and my score suprisinglyis very respectible.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, you learned something, the question is, did you have fun?

You can see how shooting 3D like that will make you a much better shooter when it comes to the real thing. But of course, who am I to talk, I competitively shot for so many years and I still managed to miss a buck last year....but, it still makes you better.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:00 PM

Default RE: My 1st 3d Round....Ouch! Update

Well Day 2 was better than the first. I shot from the Green Stake in the Novice class today. I lost no arrows and even found one of my from yesterday. The score was 173 with 3 12's. I Robinhooded a buddy of mine arrow on the 3rd target.....oooops.

He shot from the yellow stakes in the Open class and had a 168, which was much better than my first day from the yellow......He could be hooked.