Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up? >

Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

Old 06-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Spike

Default RE: Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

ORIGINAL: SuperRedHawk

I want to add a climber to my arsenal this year. How long does it take you guys to climb up and get set up? Any problem climbing while it's still dark? How is the noise involved with climbing? I'm so used to ladder stands that I can climb almost silent. I have so many places I want to try this year and it seems a climber is a must have tool.
Oh, and do I even bother looking at any brands other than Summit or Lone Wolf?
Thanks
I would take a serious look at the Equalizer Tree Stands at https://www.equalizertreestands.com/index.php. I used them last year, and they are great. I used a Summit for a few years before that and it is a good stand...but the Equalizer is far superior IMO.

I do think the climber is a must have tool, as you can change your setup quickly, or try a new hunting spot any time you want.

No problem climbing in the dark, and no problem with noise with a good quality stand that does not stress your body while climbing and if you take your time and do not rush. I probably take about 15 minutes to climb a tree and get set up...I haven't really timed it...because I take my time.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

What if you encounter a tree branch? Aren't you restricted to trees that have long straight trunks with no branches? Or do you carry a saw on the way up and cut off anything in your way? That seems noisy. I've never used a climber so sorry for the stupid questions
Old 06-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Spike

I am not an overly experienced climber user - probably used my summit viper about 15 times. If I could get it off my back and hooked on to the tree in 2-3 minutes and then climb up in another 4-5 minutes I'd probably use it a lot more. Realistically, being a 5'2 female makes the setup and climbing a bit more difficult for me. Quite honestly, I think it takes me almost 20 minutes from the time I get to the base of the tree until I'm "ready to hunt". DaveC laid out quite a bit of the steps that have to be followed.... except I would please ask him to hook his safety belt on as soon as he steps in the stand!!

The tedious parts for me are getting into the stand and getting into the footsteps. This is not a problem early in the year, but as bigger clothes and footwear becomes needed this becomes more difficult.

It works really nice when I'm using a tree I know well - so I know where to set the straps around the tree and I have existing holes for my screw-in steps for a bowholder and other things.

As many have said, I prefer the ease of use of a lock on stand with a ladder but having a climbing stand is great for flexibility and great for places where it's not safe (or you can't use) to leave lock-on.

I have not had a problem with noise during the climb.. more during the setup process because I'm not great at it yet. The good ones are definately comfortable buggers.. .I've nodded off a few times because of that.

as for the last question regarding tree limbs... I don't find that a stupid question. I haven't figured it out yet either! I did see mention of someone using tree steps to climb up beyond a limb and then set it up but that would be physically impossible for me. What I've done in those occassions is set the tree up before season to be used and cut the branches I've needed to then.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys (edit:and gals, just saw your post nbadger), very helpful.
One question: So it seems most are'nt harnessed on the way up, only when you get to the top?
Bowbuilder:
The Equalizer looks sweet, never heard of it but I'm definitely gonna consider it
Old 06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Big limbs are a problem. You can't get around without a chainsaw. Lower ones you can with a few steps. Small ones aren't a problem. I carry a pocket saw and have many of times cut limbs on the way up. Noise isn't such the issue as your scent on the branches. I worry about that a whole lot.

A question I have for everyone else with their two piece approach, how messed up of a tree can you climb or feel safe to climb? It may not be an issue with you but I've climb trees with severe twists in the middle of the climb. One with 45's in the middle. It can be some tricky stuff. Do you find them a problem?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Climbing trees aren't a problem here in NC...My favorite is a poplar, next is a pine and I have climbed oaks...I did climb a hickory...once...the bark on a hickory is hard and the cutters don't bite into very well...so I stay away from them now....Hunting our fields, I have cleaned up trees with a chainsaw, so I can get 15 feet up or so...I have hunted some of these trees for 15 years or so and know where the deer come from, so I don't climb as high as I do in the woods....I usually climb 20-25 feet in the woods....

My harness goes on when I get out of the truck and is attached to the tree once I get into the tree stand...I never go up or down without....Never had a "close call" and don't plan to now...
Old 06-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

All the trees that I hunt from have been prepped beforehand. Branches clippedand shooting lanes cleared. From the base of the tree it takes me about ten mins to climb and get settled in to hunt.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The tactic that has led to every-good buck I've ever killed is the first-time-in. I walk into a new area, sometimes areas I've never even scouted. Set-up based on sign and wind, trim a few shooting lanes with a pole pruiner, climb, and hunt. Surprise is the deadliest weapon a bowhunter can use!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: The Lone Wolf

The tactic that has led to every-good buck I've ever killed is the first-time-in. I walk into a new area, sometimes areas I've never even scouted. Set-up based on sign and wind, trim a few shooting lanes with a pole pruiner, climb, and hunt. Surprise is the deadliest weapon a bowhunter can use!
Amen brother. I love to hunt new places and only being pointed in the direction to go with a discription. Those quick new hunts are the best. You can't do that without a climber.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an ol man. I can scoot up a treeand be ready pretty quick, 10 minutes if I need to. I don't like going that fast cause I sweat a lot. I've climbed up/down while watching deer within 50 yds.

Quick Reply: Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.