Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrows?  (PA bowhunters) >

Arrows? (PA bowhunters)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows? (PA bowhunters)

Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Arrows? (PA bowhunters)

im makin some arrows out of dial rods, limestone arrow heads, and crow feathers. am i allowed to use these in small game and deer archery seasons? thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Arrows? (PA bowhunters)

Is there a question in there somewhere that I missed.[&:] OH, I get it, I'm not suppose to understand because it's addressed only to PA hunters.[8D]
Old 06-26-2006, 09:06 PM

What kind of bow are you useing? I wouldn't trust arrows made of dowel rods. The wood is to dry and splintery. To much chance of your arrow breaking and injuring you some how.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

the heads MAY be illegal.....pull out your book and read....i remember something like "head must be in the same plane(whatever that means) and have atleast 2 cutting edges......." i cant recall and dont feel like getting on their sight...my pc been acting wierd and their sight is mostly adobe reader...sure crash for me right now till i get this bug out.....got the new book but its in the truck...i definintly dont think id shoot a deer with them arrows....sure back in the day it was the arrow and head of choice...but not anymore! are they even straight enough to fly true?? ive used alot of dowelrods and have never had one that was straight...not sure how hard limestone is but maybe consider flint for the heads...i think thats what was preferable in the proper time..though i could be wrong...neat idea and all....but i think you can do better...ATLEAST with the shaft selection...i dont know if a dowel rod would be safe or smart...
Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 PM

First,dowel rods are a VERY poor substitute for arrow shafts and are more likely to snap, warp, twist and spine is conpletely un-uniform BUT there is no regulation on that. Nor is there a regulation on TYPE of feather or vane....

As to the points, well they are pretty specific about broadheads and I would guess that they are NOT legal but if I were you I would email the main office for the Game Commission and ask them directly because you never know what a field officer may think. So you're better off playing it safe and getting the Commissions opinion. (as you may know, WCOs tend to think they are above everyone and everything in their duties and are know to be more gungho than a REAL police officer)
Old 06-27-2006, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember reading somewhere in the regs that broadheads must contain a razor like edge. I don't think you will be able to get an esge like that on a rock...but try it if you want. I too would suggect mailing a letter directly to the head commissioner dude. That way you know what ever he responds with is the actual answer. If it is ok, thenI suggest keeping that letter with you when ever hunting so if you are questioned, then you have proof that you are ok.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:24 AM

I know some people custom build thier own wooden arrows and hunt with them. But they don't use dowel rods for arrow shafts and they don't use limestone arrow heads either. Seems like if I remember right wooden arrows are made from cedar shafts?? Cabelas sells bare cedar shafts. I would sugest a good solid 2 blade broad head like from Magnus.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I would say its probably illegal and using dowel rods just sounds dangerous just my opinion
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I asked a game warden about flint heads because the wording in the game digest isn't clear.He said it was legal to use them.About the dowels--you can use them if thespine is alright(I wouldn't use dowels or any any wooden shaft off a compound,tho)but getting a heavy spine might be hit or miss.I assume you want to shoot these off a selfbow?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 AM

Dowels are frequently used for arrow shafts in the traditional community... I've used them myself in the past... I used Ramin dowels and bought a set of 550 and then hand spined each one...

I wouldn't try it with a compound though....

Quick Reply: Arrows? (PA bowhunters)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.