Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st with a bow

Old 06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default 1st with a bow

Thought I would try out posting some pictures...not sure if I'm doing it right. Here is the young fork I got last fall. It is my first deer with a bow and it was my second time ever bow hunting. God really blessed me. One side of his antlers broke off when he launched off a rock towards a river and fell. I shot him straight down into his shoulder from a chair about 20 feet up on a rock cliff over looking a hill that led to a river. Called him in with a doe in estrus call on Oct. 22nd.

Let me know if I did these pictures right since this is my first picture post. Thanks

Old 06-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1st with a bow

You did a good job. Bigger would be good but you got them up and that is what matters. My first pic took a million and seven tries for me to get it posted so good job! And nice deer too!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

You should be able to click on them to enlarge them.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

great first bow kill im still waiting on mine, ive havent really been scouting and bbowhunting seriously.Well ive been using bow season to do scouting for rifle but this year ive done my homework and im expecting paydirt
Old 06-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sure nuff! I'm just not good with these computers.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: fun2hunt

You should be able to click on them to enlarge them.
txrookie: I was with you on that but he seems to have it under control.

Nice kill and too bad about the antlers. Makes a good story to tell though.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

It does make it interesting. To tell a little more it was the first day of muzzloader and I was supposed to have the land for the whole season. I drove up that morning and there was a truck with 4 muzz hunters and apparently most of the land had sold the week before and the spot I had picked and scouted out was taken. All that was left was my friends back yard. I walked by his house in the dark and came to a cliff with a clearing and just set my chair down because I was in favor of the wind there. When the sun came up I saw a trail and rub right below me but there was a tree in the way so I knew if one came through I would have to shoot it sitting down in my fold up chair. I hadn't practiced shooting sitting down. When I called him in and he was coming along the edge of the rock cliff I went to aim and I couldn't get the bow to go down far enough. It was above his shoulder. I looked down and the arrows in my quiver were hitting the rock. I scraped the rock with the nocks and that's what made him stop and look up at me and gave me the shot.

You never know how things are going to come together that's what makes is so much fun. I can't wait to see what happens this year!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet the meat on that one was pretty tender. You do want to shoot lower and farther back on the body. Obviously it worked out fine this time, but there is much more room for error behind the shoulder. Congratulations on your first bow kill. For future seasons, remember that if you want to shoot a big one you have to pass up the samller ones.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

I agree. I was really just planning on getting a doe to break the ice. Now that I have the first one behind me I do want to hold out for a bigger one. The good news is that where I hunt there haven't been many deer taken at all in the last 5 years. Maybe 2 bucks and 2 does that's it. I don't think Ihad the confidence for anything bigger last year to be honest because it was my first time bowhunting, but now I will probably target does and bigger bucks. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.