Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

form

Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default form

assuming this picture is going to work do you see anything wrong with my form?Ill try putting two different ones to see if they work

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/cougars_2009/Ebay051.jpg

Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 AM

Default RE: form

Just one. From the pic it looks like you dont have an even T-form. Like you release hand is a little high. But I am no expert soooo. Just my opinion.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to tell exactly with the angle of the picture, but it looks like your draw length is a tad short, this brings your back elbow up above the line of the arrow.

Couple of other things I see, all fairly minor:

- bow hand is grabbing the bow, just relax the fingers so you are not actually holding the bow.

- elbow looks rotate in a bit, probably due to bow shoulder being up, try and roll the bow shoulder down a bit, this will roll your elbow out a bit, not bent, just rotated.

Overall it looks good.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:45 AM

That is an example of the "T" ilovehunting has mentioned. In order to form that "T" you must bring your bow arm up a tad, while bringing your release arm down. You also want to keep your body evenly on that vertical line. If you shoot at an elevated target, bend at the waist, but keep the "T" with your upper body.

Also, do yourself a favor and put an arrow in it next time you draw back. Make sure you have a safe back stop though. I have heard of several instances when a release has failed, causing the bow to dry fire.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

alright i see what your saying now
Old 06-20-2006, 11:25 AM

It's the wrong angle shot to tell, but it looks like you MIGHT be bending your neck down to look through the peep. Your neck and head should be stright up as the top of the "T".

However, rotating your string elbow down and bending your bow arm just slightly will also settle your anchor point a little lower which will require moving your peep up as well.

When you do have your peep moved up, make sure that when you draw that you are able to look through your peep without craning you neck in any way. You should be able to close your eyes, hold your head up tall and neck straight, draw your bow, anchor and when you open your eye you should be looking right through your peep!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 PM

Zak covered most of what I would have said, the most important of which was to never draw your bow without and arrow nocked. Trust me, a hole in the wall is easier to fix than a bow that has exploded from an accidental dry fire.

As has been mentioned, bring your bow arm up a bit and try to bring your release arm down.

One question though, how well do you shoot with your form like this? Consistency is key, if you shoot accurately with this form, don't worry about how proper you look standing there, concentrate on consitently using the same form over and over.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Site Buck Guru

Hey, you're doing pretty good with your form. I would shorten your draw length until you could relax your bow arm elbow. It should be slightly bent, instead of being forced out. Your grip should be completely relaxed, not tight. Do not force your hand open either. Just relaxed. You will not have a perfect T shape when using perfect form either. Your bow arm shoulder should be lower than your release arm shoulder. That would make one side of the T higher than the other. You should be striving to hold the bow at full draw with your back muscles. Doing so allows your other joints to relax and be more stable. This in turn lets you have a solid comfortable aim. At the same time, you should learn how to trigger the release with back tension, you'll really become deadly.
Good luck.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen tons of people tlking about back tension, what is it could someone explain it?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

ive seen tons of people tlking about back tension, what is it could someone explain it?
Ran a queick search in the Technical forum, and this is what I came up with for you.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1316099&mpage=1&key=Back%2cTensi on?

There were plenty of others, but I think this one will be the most useful to you.

Quick Reply: form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.