Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is the best way to approach a landowner? >

What is the best way to approach a landowner?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is the best way to approach a landowner?

Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM

Default RE: What is the best way to approach a landowner?

With Ben's facing up!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I was born with the gift for gab. I usually can get permission to hunt. First thing I do is find a spot, drive along looking for signs that say "hunt here", well the state puts them out and calls them deer crossing signs. Go Figure! Might as well be a neon sign to me. Also look for deer in fields, yards, gardens, etc. Then find out who owns the property, some states have plat map books, worked great for me in Michigan, these tell how large the property is, who owns it, who owns the adjoining land, etc. Then go knock on some doors. I usually look for them out in the yard, or drive or garden. At least outside. What's the first thing you say when someone knocks on your door? "Who the hell is this?" So if I can find them outside, stop and introduce yourself. Smile and be polite, if they're workin the garden, "nice looking garden, myself I can't grow facial hair let alone a garden. HA HA I happened to be driving by last night and had 6 deer cross the road in front of me. Almost hit one. Bet they wreek havoc on a garden." If you can get them to carry on with you, you are half way there. Gently work your way into hunting, if they object to "guns being fired near the house,cows, horses, grandchildren. "Oh no MR/Mrs........ I was looking for a place to bowhunt. It's a very safe means of hunting, as a matter of fact the deer are never safer than when I am bowhunting" When you let them know that your shots are elevated downward to the ground with shots never being more than 30 yards it helps them feel safe. Here in NC they have what is a "blue law" called "berry picker laws" meaning that if you are on someone's land for recreational purposes they cannot take legal actions for injuries occuring during. Another help is if you offer to do some chores or help out with some things, painting, splitting wood, cutting grass. Yea it sucks but it let's them know that you are responsible. Go out of your way to show them how much you appreciate them letting you hunt. One older couple, who used to let me hunt, get sweet corn from me a couple of times a summer and I'll sit and have some sweet tea and talk for a while. It led to me having access to friends of theirs property. Hope it helps and wasn't too long winded
Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM

The one piece of advice I will give is come alone. Don't bring every Tom, Dick and Harry with you when you ask... No thing a farmer/rancher likes seeing less that 3 guys rolling up in a truck and pilling out askin for permission to hunt..

Old 06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny story about the first door I knocked on here in Iowa. Drove around all morning, found a big-farm, walked up and knocked. When the smokin' hot farmers daughter opened the door I was completely taken back. I forgot what I was doing for a minute. Few minutes later I was inside talking with her and her monther. Daddy ended up owning 3,000 acres! I've been waiting to run into that girl somewhere ever-since moving here! Laura, I love you! he he he he....
Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I actually chuckled when I read that.

That is funny stuff.

I hope you bag her[8D]
Old 06-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

You don't look like Earnest T Bass do you?

Old 06-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Get in good with his daughter
Old 06-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Like Kevin said. If that doesn't work offer him alcohol or offer to pay his way into a strip club
Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

walking
Old 06-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost 20 years ago, when I first got permission to hunt a farm in WV, the farmer told us, NO! My buddy and I were polite and stayed around and talked a little bit about the weather and his cows. We ask if he knew of any other farms in the area that had deer problems and would allow hunting. We talked a little while and he said yeah we could hunt his farm.

We were nice even though we got turned down, but we went on talking about other things. It seemed this guy liked to talk.I think alot of country folk are like that. Get them talking and they warm up to you if you are respectful and polite.

That was nearly 20 years ago. In that time, he and I got to be almost like good friends. Him talking about his divorce and family problems and me about mine. I'd always make sure to take some time to go in the barn and chat with him. One year for Christmas I took his two young daughters down a few small presents. We usually got his mom and him a turkey or ham for Thanksgiving.

We found out in hunting season of2002 that his tractor had rolled on him and killed him. He was a heck of a nice guy and I felt like I lost a friend. I haven't been back to that farm since.

But yeah! Sometimes when you get a NO! for an answer and you talk a little bit that no can change to a yes. Just be polite and respectful. Ask if the know of anyone else that might allow hunting.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to approach a landowner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.