Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 having a bow set up? >

having a bow set up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

having a bow set up?

Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default having a bow set up?

ok dad gave me the OK to take his OLD bow in the shed to have fixed up and fitted for me etc so i can use it this fall...needs new string and cables....and i want to update it...new sights(brass pins!)..stabalizer(old one is a hunk of metal!) quiver(none on it) rest(basically a bent paperclip if you ask me) string string loop(if needed?...release....arrows....and i should be shooting...ive never been to an archery shop...theres one not far from here and i never heard complaints from them from anyone...so ill go there...what should i expect?? will they set it all up and tune it for me and everything?? should i call ahead of time or make an appointment or what?? ill be shooting alumanums....and kiiinda leaning towards feathers but i realllly dont care....i just like the LOOK of feathers...and from my reading i think either way i cant go wrong...i wont bowhunt nasty weather(for tracking sake)..and read they stabilize the arrow better etc..i dont know....but either way ill need arrows cut and all that good stuff...so will i go home with a working bow and arrows? or do they tell me my arrows will be done in a day or a week or whatever or what goes on with that?? just a few questions....i COULD go now..i have the cash but ill wait TWO more weeks and bank another paycheck..that way i wont be short on cash for gas and such...im just ready to fling some arrows!! should i take the bow out tomarrow and have them check it out and everything and make sure they can do it all for me then tell them ill be back in 2 weeks to have it all done or what?? whats string and cables cost? maybe i can have them do that much tomarrow then see if they have the accessories i want..if not i can order them and have them here by next pay check...what do you guys think?? the bows in working order..i drew it back 100 times lol....the string isnt THAT bad just old and such..dad says i should get a new one and he bow hunted for a LONG time so i will.....thanx guys just not sure what i need to do so i dont look like a COMPLETE fool.....
Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: having a bow set up?

Just go to the shop, hold the bow out and say here, fix me up. I need everything.........and They should fix you right up. Set you up for the right draw length, weight, and the right arrows and such. Probably take a couple of hours if you do it all in one day. May take a couple of days, depending on how busy they are.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 AM

Do not just walk in there and say fix me up. They are used to having to do complete fixes with Onieda's I am sure, but that is beside the point. [8D]

Go in the shop and tell them you are new to archery. Your father gave you this bow and you would like to shoot it. They will take it from there.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may want the thing checked out before you get to far along. May not be worth the effort if there are parts broken/worn and not avaliable. Theymay not evenknow the specs of the bow. Acc. can set you back hundreds and may not go with a new rig. Take it slow and see how things progress. What ever happens you'll be a little older and a little wiser when it's all said and done. May cost you some money but it'll be worth it, that's if your paying attention.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep an eye on the economics here. You can get a PSE Nova Package with sight, quiver and rest(<$200) from any one of the large archery wharehouses. A set of strings and cables could easily be $75-100.

What you have is a capable bow and it will surely kill deer but consider all of your options.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

kwilson16 hit the nail on the head. How much do you plan on spending on upgrading this bow? With just a string, sight, and rest not to mention labor charges at the shop you are pretty close to an entry level bow. You can get a PSE Nova Hunter package for about $250. From there all you need are arrows and a release. I have an old Hoyt Gamegetter II That is probably close to your dad's bow. It needs a string, new sight and rest,etc. I have never done anything with it because it just doesn't have enough value to bother.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont plan on spending big bucks and dropping GREAT gear onto it....sights are 30is...stabalizer is 20ish...quiver is 20ish..rest is 35ish..roughly 100 bucks...someone said strings and cables run from 50-100ish so say 75 to be fair..thats only 175...arrows..release and im shooting...plus tuning fees etc which id end up paying(or pay in the cost of a new bow) anyways...i only need a season or 2 from it....then it will be a back up...or ultimatly id like to see dad get back into archery and he could use it when im done..right now hes working alot and loves working and shooting his guns at the range...but i think once i start flinging arrows he will kinda want to get back into it..and id like to buy a better new bow down the line in a year or 2...just too much going on with college and all right now to say for sure....though its not a new bow or a fast shooter i think itll work just as good as a new CHEAP bottom line bow...i dont know ill think about it...take it to the shop and see what they think...
Old 06-16-2006, 06:53 PM

You should not have any probs with the pro shop. At least I didnt. They tuned and set it up and gave me a target and field points free because of the size of the purchase. Of course I know not all shops have good customer service so check with others you know for reviews.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure they check to make sure the bow fits you before you do anything. As to whether you can go home with it depends on if they are busy. Even if you call and make an "appointment" that goes by the wayside if they are busy. If they aren't busy thenit dependsIF they have the string and cables in stock (which alot of shops don't have but either make or order them) and if they have the time to make them up right then and there and if they already have some arrows made up (we don't have feather fletched arrows ready, they have to be made). If you came into our shop and we weren't busy and you had the time then it would probrably take us 2-3 hours to make the string/cables and arrows while another person set the bow up. So chances are good you'll have to leave it and get it in a day or two. Also the "cheap" bows of today are for the most part better then most of the used bows we see come in just from the technology standpoint. I'm not saying your bow isn't good (you didn't say what it was or how old) just from my point of view in having people bring in bows that obviously won't fit them (or their kid) and expecting a miracle.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont know what to do!!! ahhhh its killing me...one day i want to set up that bow....one day i settle on a entry level cheap new bow...one day i say ahhh ill wait and buy a bow i WANT and deck it out like i WANT even if i gota wait another season....i dont know what ill do...i might just go out the shop one day and see what they have and chat with them a little...i just HATE to do anything EXCEPT buy the nice bow and gear i want..either other option is just kinda dumb.....then ill have money in a cheap bow and gear that is pretty useless to me and resale value probably isnt much...i dont know....im kinnnnnda leaning towards just saving my pennys till i have the cash for the bow i want.....i know ill love bow hunting...i already love hunting...in the fall ill sit there and act like im bowhunting and watch deer...(i call it fall turkey hunting but really im sitting there wishing that stupid shotgun was a bow! lol) one morning i had 4 bucks walk within reasonable bowrange of me and dad....one was a wall hanger upper...another was respectable for the area...the other 2 were basket racks...but that was all before i got hunrgy!(which is eaaaarly when im hunting lol) soooo i think my best option right now being in college and all is to wait and save the pennys...even if i buy IN the season...over the winter...or next spring or whatever...maybe get some of the gear as giftttttts lol....we will see....i need to sleeeeeep on it all...

BTW...the bow i was going to have fixed up is a Fred Bear "Bruin" from the ole days....it almost fits me now...draw is about a half inch long...good feeling bow actually....but 49 inches ATA....thats a BIG bow lol.....thats almost 2 of "todays" bows lol...i dont know.....i do kinda like the feel of that bow though i dont have much to go by..ive only drawn a few bows one day....i dont knowwwwww urrrrrghh!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.