Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Learned Lessons... >

Best Learned Lessons...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Learned Lessons...

Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Best Learned Lessons...

In reading the thread How Did You Learn to Hunt, I noticed that the majority of the responses included trial and error.

This got me to wondering what some of these lessons you may have learned were.

So far for me, the biggest lesson is that stand placement is key to any successful hunt.

After a couple seasons of seeing little deer activity from the stands I hung myself and seeing quite a bit of activity from the stands hung by others hunting our property (hunting these stands with their permission, of course), I had to question what I was doing wrong. I compared the stands hung by others to those I had hung, and noticed many differences.

Using this new found knowledge to my benefit, I started to hang my stands in different areas and immediately saw a difference in deer sightings and activity.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Default RE: Best Learned Lessons...

Oh wow......this list could go on forever, but I'll be brief. Nov. 8, 2004. I arrived on stand early and hunted till 9 am. I had some errands to run, accomplished those, and was back in stand by noon. I wasn't in my tree, honestly, 1 minute when I heard running in the leaves. Looked left, and a doe was haulin the mail right to me. Yep, that's right, the big boy was behind her, along w/ 2 subbordinates. They ran DIRECTLY under my stand, around the corner, and back behind me. I had a 15 yard, standing still, broadside, wide open shot at a.....oh, prolly 140 class 10 pointer. Just one tiny problem.......MY BOW WAS STILL ON THE GROUND!!!![:@]

The lesson I took from that.......after I am tied into the tree....the very next thing I do, before I take off my backpack, anything.......haul that bow up and hang it! THAT won't happen again......
Old 06-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Judging distance. After gun hunting for years I just couldn't judge the 20 or 30 yards for a bow shot. I got a range finder and use it toconfirm distances now. I'll guess how far a tree is then hit it with the rangefinder as practice. This has really honed my ability to judge distance. I missed a doe last year when I shot over her back. I thought she was a lot farther out than she really was. I got her the next day.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't hunt a valley on a foggy day.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Spike

Last season I pulled a drag into the area by my stand . It had doe in heat lure on it. Had a 12 PT. come in like on the hunting shows.Got my bow ready the buck gave me a broadside shot at 10-12 yd. Started to pull back and my release slipped/tripped and there I sat holding my bow in one hand and the release inthe other. Next day I bought a TRU Ball Copperhead to replace the Kmart end of season special. Moral of story ,buy a good quilty release don't skimp. A $5.00 release cost me a big buck the Copperhead cost $60.00 wish now I had spent that money right off the bat.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Oh wow......this list could go on forever, but I'll be brief. Nov. 8, 2004. I arrived on stand early and hunted till 9 am. I had some errands to run, accomplished those, and was back in stand by noon. I wasn't in my tree, honestly, 1 minute when I heard running in the leaves. Looked left, and a doe was haulin the mail right to me. Yep, that's right, the big boy was behind her, along w/ 2 subbordinates. They ran DIRECTLY under my stand, around the corner, and back behind me. I had a 15 yard, standing still, broadside, wide open shot at a.....oh, prolly 140 class 10 pointer. Just one tiny problem.......MY BOW WAS STILL ON THE GROUND!!!![:@]

The lesson I took from that.......after I am tied into the tree....the very next thing I do, before I take off my backpack, anything.......haul that bow up and hang it! THAT won't happen again......
Thatreminds me of another lesson agood hunter taught me. Hunt all day, especially during the rut. Alot of bucks move mid day.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep it slow. The slower the better. Watch, Look, Listen to everything in the woods and to any Bowhunter you come across. Never to old to learn. Shoot your bow year round. Keep checking out this Bow site. There are some smart veteran Bowhunters that realy know there SH&# that live here!!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM

When I first started hunting by myself and started watching all the hunting commercials and what not. I would pour a bottle of doe in estrus all over the place...That doesnt make deer come. lol.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM

This past season I had a real nice buck come in w/ a doe. He was snort wheezing, something that I have never heard before. Cut to the chase, I had my top pin right on his boiler room but there was a small branch in the way. This guy was only 5-7 yrds from my tree too. Anyway, Im waiting for him to make 3 steps and my damn cell phone vibrates. He looked and looked and never saw me but he didn't like that sound. He jetted and I never saw him again. He was bigger than the one in my profile.

I carry my cell phone in case of an emergency which I used to never do. What I did was power my phone off but must have closed the lid too quickly and it didnt go off. So I ALWAYS made sure my phone powered down or was left in the truck after that incident.

Looking back, I could have probably pulled off a shot thru that small branch. It was a really small branch and I think I could have gotten trhu there. Oh well. Nice story to tell anyway.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

It was a pretty windy day when I was on stand two years ago. Instead of hanging my backpack on a hook (like I usually do) for some reason I had it wedged in between a branch and the trunk of the tree I was in. At about 9:30 I saw movement off to my right, it was a real nice 10 pointer and he was coming in straight toward me. He kept coming in closer and closer until he was about 25 yards away. A couple more steps and he would be right in my shooting lane...
Just then a gust of wind came and blew my backpack right out of the tree. I'll never forget the look on his face when that thing fell out. He watched it fall the whole way to the ground and then looked right at me. I froze, but it was too late. Gone...make sure your gear is secured.

Quick Reply: Best Learned Lessons...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.