Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand? >

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

lever dude, shooting straight down, you'll actually shoot low because your arrow starts below your line of sight with the pins. Pendulum sights do work for staight down and very in close shooting, IMO that is thier best function.

I beg to differ. Your arrow starts below your line of sight but crosses it pretty quick. Its angled up so you can hit where your sighted in on. It rises above your line of sight & then comes back down to it where your sighted in. If your shooting straight down it'll cross your line of sight & just keep rising. This is the effect that causes high hits from elevated positions. Thing is in my experience, at the heights & angles I encounter hunting it hasn't been a factor worth worrying about. The closer the target or higher the stand the more acute the angle & more pronounced the effect.
By the time its pronounced enuff to matter the deers so close it doesn't matter.

A pendulum works because as you tilt the bow down it swings out, effectively raising your sight & lowering your point of aim. I'v never used one but would have thought that pointing your bow straight down the sight would be hanging straight at the ground & you couldn't look thru it.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

lever dude, shooting straight down, you'll actually shoot low because your arrow starts below your line of sight with the pins. Pendulum sights do work for staight down and very in close shooting, IMO that is thier best function.

I beg to differ. Your arrow starts below your line of sight but crosses it pretty quick. Its angled up so you can hit where your sighted in on. It rises above your line of sight & then comes back down to it where your sighted in. If your shooting straight down it'll cross your line of sight & just keep rising. This is the effect that causes high hits from elevated positions. Thing is in my experience, at the heights & angles I encounter hunting it hasn't been a factor worth worrying about. The closer the target or higher the stand the more acute the angle & more pronounced the effect.
By the time its pronounced enuff to matter the deers so close it doesn't matter.

A pendulum works because as you tilt the bow down it swings out, effectively raising your sight & lowering your point of aim. I'v never used one but would have thought that pointing your bow straight down the sight would be hanging straight at the ground & you couldn't look thru it.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leverdude is right on the money! Relative to line of sight, the arrow is always pointed up. It crosses the l.o.s. quickly as LD said and then is bent back to the target by gravity. Gravity effect is greatest (again with respect to the trajectory relative to l.o.s.) when shooting horizontally and the effect lessens (so you hit high) when shooting up or down. Shooting straight down or straight up the arrow will cross the l.o.s. on its upward path (relative to los) but gravity can not bring it back. If your shooting form is proper this effect is pretty small and really you don't need to worry about it. Use the horizontal distance and bend at the waste making sure you don't just lower your arm which effectively changes the position of your eye relative to where it is positioned when shooting on the level. A peep is a good idea too. If you try to just lower your arm you won't be able to look through the peep. Even better is to practice from an elevated position and at various distances. This should flush out any problem you might have.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

I did not read through all of these posts, but what LD and Sylvan says, is absoultely true. For a nearly straight down shot, I have sometimes used my 30 yard pin. But to answer the main question, to compensate for shooting from an elevated stand, you bend at the waist as if you were shooting from the ground. Actually, by doing this, you're not compensating at all.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

gregh
that's what I meant. Idon't think sylvan and LD are saying what you are saying.