Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sponsors backing out of WHA >

Sponsors backing out of WHA

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sponsors backing out of WHA

Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sponsors backing out of WHA

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

"TORTURES"?!?!? Fish don't feel pain like that--their brains are too small. This sounds like something PETA would say.
That's exactly why it was worded the way it was.
Because you are representing The voice of PETA in this discussion????????

I'll just leave this discussion and you all can keep on boycotting all you want.
You'll be back--you're funny[8D]
Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Bout time bigbull stop commenting hes getten on my nerves. Hillbillyhunter i gotta agree with you.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bout time bigbull stop commenting hes getten on my nerves.
Well, that's just too dang bad. Get over it.

It is what it is. If you were to actually think about it long and hard, instead of letting emotions get in the way of your intelect,you might actually see the similarities between the two.

And no, I am the farthest thing from a "voice for PETA".
Old 06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

And no, I am the farthest thing from a "voice for PETA".
I did not think youwere the voice "for" peta. I thought you were justusing that tactic to try andmake a comparison between hunters decrying this WHA stuff with Peta trying to eliminate hunting/fishing.

But that boat still does not Float.

What they are proposing is not hunting and the whole lifestyle of hunters/fisherman is not an "all or nothing proposition" --that is--we don't have to supporteverything that "someone" may try to label as hunting..........or fishing.

Outdoor pursuits are inherently an individual pursuit and each individual must choose what is acceptable behavior on a path hopefully directed by character and integrity and an appreciation of the natural world. That is why there is much fragmentation of sportsman as a whole but on something as far to the "edge" of the spectrum as this (and some other MAJOR issues), we can certainly unite on as well as stand against. As I said before it's all about choosing your battles wisely.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Bottom line fellas , WHA make US look bad , and that's enough for me .

I've had folks say "Ewww , you're a hunter ?" to me before , and once I explained the ethics of the modern hunter and our reverence for the game we pursue(usually not successfully) to the ones that would listen they all had the same reaction . They nodded in agreement and thanked me for explaining it to them . None wanted to try it , although one lady was intrigued by the concept of the photo safari , and I made sure to offer to teach her the basics and take her out sometime if she wanted to try it . She said maybe ...

Anything that makes us look bad , whether it's poaching , high fence , WHA , or whatever , is something to be viewed with a jaundiced eye . We depend far more on the good graces of the non-hunting segment of the public than they do on us , why blow a good deal ?
Old 06-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Could you explain. I don't have an opinion either way, but what is wrong with a league.
Bob, my opinion is a World Hunting Tour or World Hunting Sports League, no matter if the animal was taken with broadheads or bullets, is no better than using tranqualizing darts. In other words, the hunting tradition has already undergone changes in the last several years that inhibit new hunters from joining our ranks. A pro hunting tour would do more harm than good. For example there are not any more people going fishing just because of the professional fishing tournaments.

I don't hunt because of the allure of cash prizes or awards do you? I don't know of anybody who hunts for competitive reasons except perhaps to challenge themselves. Right now I am a little dazed, just got off the graveyard shift, fixed a water leak under my house and have not slept in 24 hrs. Be back later.[&o]
Old 06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't hunt because of the allure of cash prizes or awards do you?
No of course not.

I don't know of anybody who hunts for competitive reasons except perhaps to challenge themselves.
I do know of a hunting contest run every year right here and seems to be supported by this site whichseems verycompetitive in nature.

I guess, I just don't feel so up in arms or have a very strong opinion about this whole thing. It doesn't really strike me the wrong (or right) way.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt because of the allure of cash prizes or awards do you?
I don't know of anybody who hunts for competitive reasons except perhaps to challenge themselves.
I do know of a hunting contest run every year right here and seems to be supported by this site whichseems verycompetitive in nature.
I don't hunt for money. I hunt because it's fun.

If winning contests is theREASON you hunt, then you hunt to satisfy your ownego.

I don't hunt for food either. I eat what I kill, and it tastes good, but I hunt mostly because it's fun.

I really don't even hunt to help control the population. I hunt because it's fun. If my pleasure provides additional benefits to nature or society Great! But that's not really why I hunt. I hunt because it's FUN.

Tranquilizing livestock for money does not sound like FUN to be so I won't do it.

Watching others tranquilize livestock on TV also does not sound FUN to be, so I won't watch it.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

This money and competition things seems to be a very big reason most of you don't like this. You know, the "money grubbers" that are only out to get rich and famous.

Lets see now.........

Pope and Young, Boone and Crocket, SCI, Buckmasters scoring, and a host of others all keep records and rank the antlers and horns according to size...................... Nope no competition here. If you have EVER had a rack or a set of horns scored and/ or entered into any of the record booksyou don't have a leg to stand on here.

Television shows......... Buckmasters, Gnader Mountain - We live outdoors, Benelli's American Safari, Elk Country Journal, Realtree outdoors, Jim Shockeys hunting adventures, Get in the Game, Knight and Hales ultimate hunting, Primos TRUTH about hunting, and hundreds more............................. Nope no money changing hands here.[&:]If you have EVER watched one or more of these shows or purchased and of the videosyou just lost the other leg.

Certainly this site that you all visit so often isn't making any money from hunting. Now you are loosing your arms too.

Michael Wadell, Tiffany Lekowski, Wayne Carlton, Will Primos, Ted Nugent, Fred Bear, Jim Zumbo, etc... etc.......... Nope, No fame here either.

Wake up and smell the cash and the fame. Hunting and outdoor sports is a multi billion dollar a year industry. Hunting wouldn't be where it is today if it were not for the people that are making millions and getting famous becasue of it. Quit living in denial.

And one last comment about what hunting is by definition....... Not a persons individual emotional feelings.

1 a : to pursue for food or in sport <hunt buffalo> b : to manage in the search for game <hunts a pack of dogs>
2 a : to pursue with intent to capture <hunted the escapees> b : to search out : SEEK
3 : to drive or chase especially by harrying <members ... were hunted from their homes -- J. T. Adams>
4 : to traverse in search of prey <hunts the woods>
intransitive senses
1 : to take part in a hunt
2 : to attempt to find something
3 : to oscillate alternately to each side (as of a neutral point) or to run alternately faster and slower -- used especially of a device or machine

The WHA is hunting. You may not like it or agree with it but they are hunting the deer they will the tranquilizing. There are numerous African animals that would be extinct if it were not for "catch and release" hunting and the money it generates.

Some of you may not like the fact that Catch and release "hunting" is now "invading" thedeer heardsand that is just fine. I don't particularly like it either and I don't personally practice it in any aspect of my outdoor sports. But catch and release hunting and fishinghas beenhere and will always be here. It just hasn't beenaproached the way the WHA is aproaching it.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

And one last comment about what hunting is by definition....... Not a persons individual emotional feelings.
Regardless of how the dictionary "defines" hunting.... ask a hunter what Hunting MEANS.

Hunting is about sunrises, sunsets, family, friends, God and nature. It's about being responsible for that animal in the forest, just as God intended. Knowing that that steak on my plate was once an animal, that I watched live, and watched die. Anyone who defines hunting like the dictionary, just doesn't get it.

As for your other arguements bigbulls, you still don't get it. You're using the same legalistic, absolutist logic that the anti's (especially PETA)ascribe to. Afterall, "only a sith speaks in absolutes..."

Don't flame me(or anyone else)just because I have a higher sense of respect and esteem for things than the dictionary.

There is a difference between makinga living servicing an audience, andabusing theemotional and spiritualmeaning ofan honored pastimeto make yourself and your backers rich.

Quick Reply: Sponsors backing out of WHA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.