Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opinions on shoot-thru style bows or bows without cable guards? >

Opinions on shoot-thru style bows or bows without cable guards?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinions on shoot-thru style bows or bows without cable guards?

Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Spike

Default RE: Opinions on shoot-thru style bows or bows without cable guards?

Hey Rick,

Is that your bow? If so...do the cables on the left side contact your forarm when shooting?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, not mine. Just a picture I was able to find on the net. I have shot X system bows by Martin considerably though, I live very close to and personally know Jim Despart who has won in vegas, NFAA indoor and outdoor nationals, etc. He is the inventor of the X system and co-owns the patents with Martin on them. It really is a great system, if more people had exposure to other types of competitive archery such as indoor spots, outdoor FITA, and field archery they would see these types of systems more often.

I am not familiar with the bladerunner system. I would be curious to see one up close though. My initial impression is that there is a LOT of moving parts on it, but it may be a great setup?
Old 06-13-2006, 05:56 AM

i build a fair number of strings for them, and the folks tell me they are great, but a bit noisy ('x' system), and wouldn't be the best for hunting because of it (something about cable slap). is this true?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

i build a fair number of strings for them, and the folks tell me they are great, but a bit noisy ('x' system), and wouldn't be the best for hunting because of it (something about cable slap). is this true?
Well what they are saying is probably true of the longer target models (such as sceptor, shadowcat, etc) they do sound a bit like a banjo. However with the shorter ATA models the noise isn't as bad and can be tamed down quite a bit to an acceptable level. Add in the fact that with Nitrous X cams (by far their best cam system) youcan throw the cable rod on the bow and use a regular cable setup as well, and that you can swap back and forth between and X system and regular system now the bow becomes more attractive to swap back and forth between hunting/competition.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

BB, take a good look at the left side cables on that Bullet. Most guys would have trouble shooting it without the cables clipping their arm. I say most guys because most are shooting too long a draw length and even the string slaps their arm. The cables are about an inch to the left of the string so you can imagine what problems are encountered.

That's not to say it's not a good system. I think it's one of the best cabling systems going as it does eliminate all torque in the bow itself. Pretty much everything, the rest, string and sight are right in the middle of the bow. All cam lean is eliminated also, something that isn't so for most solo-cam bows. Efficiency goes up due to less friction.

Yes, there is a little more vibration, but that is because the cables are not attached to anything that dampens them. I might have to try some Leeches or something on them and see what happens.

It's just more important to get the drawlength correct. I have two Martin bows with the X system and those cables just barely touch my arm sometimes, but I still don't need an armguard.And I don't shoot a bent elbow either. It's all in drawlength and proper grip (no-grip).
Old 06-13-2006, 11:34 AM

I don't see how you can shoot that without it hitting your arm regardless.

I also would not like to have to run my arrow between the cables in a hunting situation. Imagine if you had a Whisker Biscuit (and one that doesn't have QS) and this setup. You just missed a buck, and you want to nock another arrow....and you're peeing in your pants trying to do it!

When I decide I don't want a cable guard anymore, I'll get a recurve.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:15 PM

oh sorry I miss read that post [&:],and along with some others I have never seen one of these before,looks like a fantastic concept.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Trembow

I don't see how you can shoot that without it hitting your arm regardless.

I also would not like to have to run my arrow between the cables in a hunting situation. Imagine if you had a Whisker Biscuit (and one that doesn't have QS) and this setup. You just missed a buck, and you want to nock another arrow....and you're peeing in your pants trying to do it!

When I decide I don't want a cable guard anymore, I'll get a recurve.
Trembow, You load it from the front and it's very easy as the cables are only a couple inches ahead of the string. And nobody shooting something as sophisticated as the X system will be using the OLD original Whisker Bisquit.

Ilike your first sentence. You don't SEE how to shoot it without hitting the arm. Don't just look. Try it and see for yourself.

Hey fellows, something else I did with my ShadowCat with the X system--my hunting bow. Where the cable guard rod fits into the riser is where I mounted my home-made STS. It also fits right between the cables.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

And nobody shooting something as sophisticated as the X system will be using the OLD original Whisker Bisquit.
Very true.

Ilike your first sentence. You don't SEE how to shoot it without hitting the arm. Don't just look. Try it and see for yourself.
Touche! I wonder if there's any dealers in the New England area.

My question however is what problem that I have now (whether I know it or not) would this solve for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... but is it broke?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:25 AM

limb deflection induced by the cable slide.

Quick Reply: Opinions on shoot-thru style bows or bows without cable guards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.