Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you really need a $700 bow? >

Do you really need a $700 bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you really need a $700 bow?

Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Do you really need a $700 bow?

What makes an expensive bow better? Don't get me wrong: I know there are some major differences, but what are they. Ive been shooting a $200 martin for three years and have killed 5 deer.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you really need a $700 bow?

Need? Absolutely not. Do I have one. Yup, my 04 Liberty 80why? It's a sweetheart of a bow, enjoyable to shoot, forgiving, smooth, creates the KE I wanted with the arrow I like to shoot....and it fits me perfectly. Why did I spend the 700.00 ...? at the time I could afford it. I wouldnt have bought itif I couldn't have afforded it. AT that time I realized it was a lot to fork out for a bow...still is.....but it just made sense for me to shoot the bow I felt the most comfortable with. Second, I have great confidence inthe bow'sabiltiy to perform as long as I do my part.

Mine will likely last me 10 years, so over that span of time...700.00 really doesn't seem like too much.... I have everything I want in my Bowtech.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quote from LBR:

Folks will be much more impressed with you hitting the mark with a $50 bow than they will with you missing with a $1,000 bow.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 AM

I"m sure there will be many different responses and opinions to this but here is my 2 cents....to be honest my bow package was between $350-$400 (Fred Bear)and I love it...works great for me and I've killed deer no problem with it and I'm comfortable with it! However, their are definitely cheap accessories and bows that I would steer clear from because they are mfg. cheaply and they are not efficeint and will not be efficeint in the field....of course if you know what your doing or you go to a good shop then they can hook you up with a great package within your budget.....Do you need a $700 bow package? No.......there are many variables and one the most important variables is the hunter and his skill! I think many of us get all caught up in the new and improved bows and accessories on the market and we enjoy spending the money to buy them because we love archery hunting!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I choose not to spend a ton of money on a bow. Can I afford to? YES, but I just don't. I "went all out" on my last bow and I think it was in the 400-500 range. Accessories are something you can skimp on that will come back to bite you. I still don't go most expensive, but I do go with quality.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually have about $1100 wrapped up in mine. At the time I could afford it, but now I would be hard pressed. The bow itself was $600 but after shooting all "the best", it was what I really liked. After adding all the accessories, arrows, etc and then changing them again, I now have more in my bow than I did in my first car. But I love it, it's quiet and shoots smooth. The last bow I had lasted 12 years so if I can get the same lifetime it's less than $100 per year and who wouldn't pay that!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 PM

If you just what to hear a bunch of people say stuff, that's the right question. If you want an answer for yourslef you need to finish the phrase. "DO you need a 700 dollar bo TO hunt, do 3D etc...

Otherwise one guy is going to say he never spent more than 10 bucks on a red oak bow and has the deer to prove it, and another guy will say he gave up 5 years salary to go to the Olympics so the 700 bucks was the least of it.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi Ryan

Welcome to the forum's
You got a good point in my opinoin you really don't need the top of the line bow,
I have an old Golden Eagal that I only paid$100.00 at a yard sale years ago.
I wouldn't trade for any thing out there.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

My last two bows were what I though was the best at the time they were purchased:

1) 1992 PSE Carroll Intruder - $299.99, rigged out about $500. I used it until 2004 (12 yrs - $41 per year)

2) 2004 Bowtech Extreme VFT - $525, rigged out $850.

Each time I shot alot of them and they were the best ones for me at the time. I really didn't consider price, although I must admit that if budget were a consideration, I might rethink it.

You don't need it on price, but you do need what you like best and believe you can afford!!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Spike

You get what you pay for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.