Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One Pin

Old 10-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default One Pin

When I fist started hunting with a compound bow in the 80s, I had one sight pin set at 20 yds. I learned how to hold at 10 yds, steep angles, and out to 25 yds very well over the years. I've since gone to a more modern adjustable sight (still one pin) that I can set from 5yds - 50 yds on my bow. But, I still set it for 20 yds while waiting in my stand. Not becuase I expect a 20 yd shot, but because, I know that things can happen quickly, and I'll know what to do with a 20 yd pin, if I do not have time to change the setting. I still pratice all scenarios using the 20 yd setting "just in case" (out to 30 yds)- and I'm glad I do. The buck I shot this year for example busted in on a grunt tube, to 5 yds from the base of my stand. I did not have time to change the 20 yd setting, and used my 20 yd pin and held confident that the arrow would hit not where I was aiming, but where I wanted it to hit at that distance. The arrow hit within 1" of "my target".

I'm just curious how many other hunters use one pin - and if so, what are your range limitations - with that Pin? I'm confident out to 25 yds with mine - but given the chance - would always adjust my sight for the distance if I could.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:43 PM

Default RE: One Pin

Ive always used one pin. I shoot indoor, 3D, hunt, everything with one pin. Actually i took an old archers choice sight bracket and drilled it out so that an Impact Archery Cosmic ring(1/4 inch) so that i could screw it in and then tighten it down. Then I drimmel tooled some of the bar and put some heat shrink on the end of it. Then i wrapped the rest with mole skin. Its so cool! But, im confident out to 50 yards with my bow, and just one pin. Hunting wise I only shoot to about 30 yards, but I would do that even if I had a movable sight. Ill always use one pin, dont like all the clutter of pins and that rainbow on my bow. One green for me.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love one pin as a hunting set-up! I can shoot pretty good to 40 yards but in hunting situations 30 yards is the max. Most shots are 15 to 25 yards anyway, but one pin is simple and effective.

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 10-31-2002, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I am switching to one pin after this season. My personal maximum range while hunting is 25 yards so one pin will do me fine. I think more pins means more confusion in excitement of shooting at a deer. Jim

Old 10-31-2002, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

One pin here, good out to 30 yards... This year I'm using a Savage pendulum, best of both worlds. From a tree, aim dead on and shoot. From the ground, it's a 1 pin set up zeroed at 20 yards... Love it.

Old 10-31-2002, 03:42 PM

One pin only for me. I don't need another decision to make when under the pressure created by having a large buck in front of me. Anything inside of 25 yards is dead if I hold on the center of the kill zone.

I hunt with a group of hard core bowhunters. We all have pure hunting set-ups. One pin, no string peeps, simple rugged rests and sights. A few of them won't even touch a release, because it's just another thing that can go wrong and it makes getting a quick shot almost impossible.

Old 10-31-2002, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

one pin only for me. I'm confident out to 30yds.
I have a question for people that use multiple pins.
if your shootin a moderately fast bow, and a flat shootin
bow also, then your pins have to be set extremely close
together don't they? how do you ever line up the pin your usin
in the center of your peep? I mean with them set so close together?

daytona 500 winner- Ward Burton
go Cat-22
Old 10-31-2002, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot one movable pin set at 20 without moving it I feel confident to 25 but I can and will take a shot out to 40.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

One pin out to about 30 yards for me. It makes it much simpler for me.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:44 AM

I shoot one set pin. Its good from 10-35 yards.

Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (35 AD - 100 AD)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.