Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just learned first lesson about tracking. >

Just learned first lesson about tracking.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just learned first lesson about tracking.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just learned first lesson about tracking.

Was banging the target in the backyard when a smallish rabbit was spotted 28 yds away. Hopefully, its the one that has been giving my garden radishes he*#. Took aim and let her fly. Rabbit backflipped, did some mule kicks and then retreated to some thick daylilies. I inspected the arrow and figured it was a complete pass thru...lots of fur and gut looking brown stuff, not blood. I should have left the daylillies alone and left for 15 minutes. Instead, I started walking though and pushed the little fellow 10 yards into the creek.The creek is still way overchoked with debris from hurricane Isabel. Will never find him in there. I was looking forward to rabbit stew. But did learn the valuable lesson about not pushing animals. I have never tracked a deer before, but am 0 for 1 with rabbits
Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

Default RE: Just learned first lesson about tracking.

Oldtimers will tell you not to eat rabbits till after the 1st frost anyway
Old 06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

hopefully your lesson has been learned not to rush after the shot if your not positive of a good clean shot.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 PM

Put a dog on that bunny!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I did learn a lesson and I hear you...this rabbit was smaller than the vital area of an average sized deer- so I am confident that this would have been a good shot @ nearly 30 yds on a whitetail
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: saltflyz

I did learn a lesson and I hear you...this rabbit was smaller than the vital area of an average sized deer- so I am confident that this would have been a good shot @ nearly 30 yds on a whitetail
Funny, it sounds like you haven't really learned the more important lesson to be learned here....[&o]

Think about what happened, and think about what you just said there.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

enlighten me tremby
Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 AM

It's a little existential, but I would say that this experience should have humbled you, not made you confident that you should be able to hit a deer at 30 yards.

Did you make a good hit on the rabbit? Do you know the correct shot placement on a rabbit? Did you use the correct equipment for rabbit hunting?

My questions are rhetorical, that is asked without requiring or requesting an answer. I have found that each experience while hunting has a lesson and that lesson is slightly different for each person who experiences it. But it is up to us to figure out what the lesson was and then learn from it.

In the meantime, I highly recomend the NBEF course if you have not already taken it. You can even take it online:

http://www.nbef.org

Old 06-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply...I have found this forum to be helpful, not condescending. Sounded like your first post was a holier than thou post. I'm glad it was not. You are correct- I didn't make a good shot on a rabbit and I probably wasn't using the right tips or even setup. I was target shooting and had an opportunity to keep a pest out of my garden. I learned a lesson about rushing the tracking of downed game. I will take your advice and look at the course.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM

Cool.

Never be condescending towards anyone! [8D] And never assume that those who help don't need help themselves too! [8D]

Quick Reply: Just learned first lesson about tracking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.