Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Questions questions questions...... >

Questions questions questions......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions questions questions......

Old 06-05-2006, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Questions questions questions......

1. I work days, so 4-9pm would work well for me.
2. The sights look good on paper, but I've not seen them. No opinion really on either.
3. No, a laser doesn't make me more confident. The only confidence I have is what I see paper tuning. BUT, the laser does make it pretty darn close.
4. Yes, you should carry mechanicals. 2 reasons. a. ALOT of people like them, and I think you would lose sales by not carrying them. b. Alot of people, myself included, use fixed blade for big game and mechanicals for turkeys.
5. I don't care for Trophy Ridge sights anyway. Not a fan of verticle pins.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

9:00 is a great time for the consumer, (maybe not for you[8D])

Not familiar with the G5's.

Laser wouldn't do much for me.

I have tried a bunch of mechs and pretty much have settled on the Spitfires. I'm sure there are some that are as good, I just haven't tried them. I've started using the Montec G5's and Nitrons. The Spitfires have done me well and even if I use the fixed I will have some Spitfires on standby.

Its funny. I hear so much bad about TR sights but I've owned 3 of them and have had nothing but good from them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I've checked other sights and while there are some that I also liked, such as HHA, SpotHogg, and a few others, I thought the TR's were built as well and better that most. And for what I paid for the TR, I could have had any of them. Some people don't care for the vertical pin and when I first tried it I wasn't sure but after using it I wouldn't use anything else. While I certainly like the TR products, you might be better trying a different line.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM

* I don't care for mechanical BH's much, especially with the fixed heads made today. Should I suck it up and carry them anyhow?
Problem is that their are some people who still rely on them heavily, so I think you should carry just the higher end ones that dont use o rings like grim reapers or rage slipcams
Old 06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I thought of doing this before too,but I don't have enough time to do all the things I like to do anyways.I have tried many different sights on my bows,trophy ridge included,and would definately consider copper johnspothogs,and Impact archery(my favorite).Didn't care for TR but many love them.I would carry the mechanicles ,yet don't use them for deer and other large game,many others do.I do use the gobbler getters expandables for turkeys though.I don't think the lazer is esentail but does get you close fairly quickly.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 PM

* What hours of operation would work best for your schedule?
at least till 7
* What do you guys think of the new G5 sights and peeps?
have not seen them used enough to make an opinion
* I never use a laser to set my center shot. BUT when you have work done at the shop does it make you more confident to see that a laser has been used to set you rest?
doesnt impress me
* I don't care for mechanical BH's much, especially with the fixed heads made today. Should I suck it up and carry them anyhow?
its all about what the Customer wants. but i do agree with you i love fixed. but i know a lot of people that liek mech.
* Iam thinking about not carrying Trophy Ridge sights. What do you think?
I like them
Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think hours of operation should depend on the local hunter population in your realm. But it is EXTREMELY important to keep a consistent hours of operation. I've seen many shops (one i worked at) that would close early for no reason. This really can upset your patrons.

As far as gear goes, I think you should concentrate more on selling what is most used by bowhunters(arrows, mechanical and fixed broadheads, peep sights, etc). Too many small pro shops go to far only to carry a select few products they endorse. I can talk to 10 different hunters and get 10 different set-ups! Just carry the basics, sell what sells. The pro shop I once worked at had a small display (one of each item) and if you wanted that sight, you would put an order in, and it would be in within 10 days.

Remember this is business. You have to be in it for the profit, or you'll find yourself way over your head. I hope this helps some.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't mind me asking, what lines of bows do you plan to carry? Where you able to pick up Bowtech?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 AM

* What hours of operation would work best for your schedule?
A: If you were in my area, open at noon during the week so I can go shoot on your range at lunch.
During the week, being open a couple nights till 9 so I can visit after work.
10 to 5 on Saturdays.
Close on Sundays!

* What do you guys think of the new G5 sights and peeps?
A: Haven't actually "seen" one, but the metapeep sounds great and the sights look awesome...but PRICEY!!!!

* I never use a laser to set my center shot. BUT when you have work done at the shop does it make you more confident to see that a laser has been used to set you rest?
A: Never seen it done, however I would rather see the tech know how the bow should be set up and see him do it manually. That impresses me much more.

A: Yes. At least the more popular ones... at very least the NAP spitfires.

* Iam thinking about not carrying Trophy Ridge sights. What do you think?
A: They're very popular, but you can also get them anywhere.

HNI rocks
A: Ditto

[/quote]
Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rick James I sent you a PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man congratulations. That would be my dream but I have absolutely zero experience other than being a hunter myself. Good luck to you.

One suggestion I'd make is to focus on personal attention for your customers. Be willing to go above and beyond. Be NICE and don't be intimidating or pushy. I refuse to go to the local shop because the guys that worked there treated me like I was an idiot when I first started out. They made me feel like they didn't have time for me and now I go 10 miles further to another shop exclusively. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Questions questions questions......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.