Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Anyone Seeing Any Rutting Activity??? >

Anyone Seeing Any Rutting Activity???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Seeing Any Rutting Activity???

Old 10-30-2002, 10:51 AM

Default Anyone Seeing Any Rutting Activity???

I have been hunting the better part of this month and the bucks here in West Virgina are doing absolutely nothing in terms of the rut. I have seen very very few rubs and not the first scrape. Man I hope things start to pick up soon. Heck it's almost November 1st! So how's the rut activity in your area?

HANKFAN
Old 10-30-2002, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone Seeing Any Rutting Activity???

I HAVE NO CLUE HANK, IVE BEEN OUT 8 TIMES HERE IN NORTHERN NJ, AND HAVE YET TO SEE A DEER, OR ANY SIGN.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:19 AM

Sw IA, Bucks are running does and have been heavily scraping for 2 weeks. It's getting so close to breeding that I'm taking all next week off to hunt

THWACK!
Old 10-30-2002, 11:29 AM

Hankfan,

Been hunting an area in Pennsylvania with lots of rubs and scrapes. Hadn't seen a deer until this past Saturday. A beauty of an eight-pointer came ripping through the woods and launched himself into the thicket I was hunting. Grunting the whole way.

I figured he was probably chased by another hunter. I grunted with my tube, grunted with my own voice - and nothing. About twenty minutes later I could hear grunting in the thicket and looked over to see a sappling getting butchered by the buck. I could also see a doe with him. I rattled, grunted, brushed the bushes real hard, doe bleeted and used the distress call. He wouldn't leave her side.

To answer your question, I think they're rutting already in Pennsylvania.

Best of Luck!
Old 10-30-2002, 11:45 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Been hunting hard for a month in western SD and seen no signs of the rut here. No scrapes and very few rubs. I saw two nice bucks together this morning? They should be heavy into the pre rut by now here but not seeing any signs of it yet. I've tried rattling and grunting, the primos can and nothing. I grunted at a buck monday morning, he looked my way and ran the other dirction. Still waiting in SD.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:50 AM

Hank,

I too was in West Virginia the week end of the 18th and 19th and only saw 2 small rubs, when usually this time of the year the woods look like chain saws have played havoc. Seen plenty of those "wing nuts" though, 11 the first morning.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:50 AM

Been hunting 3-4 times a week and have seen no buck sign at all(except for a couple of rubs) here in TN. Plenty of does, but the bucks are laying low in my hunting spots.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 10-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted everyday here in NW PA. Before the season opened I found heavy rubbing and scrapes everywhere! Now there's even more scrapes but I've only seen 5 buck total! I passed on an 8pt. the first afternoon that keeps getting better everyday now but I haven't seen any bucks roaming or chasing doe. Hopefully it gets going before the season ends. I had 2" of snow this morning to hunt in with 5-10" coming this weekend which will really slow things down until that all gets over with. If you get them chasing doe run a few up my way.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:36 PM

I hunt here in Ripley, WV and I just saw some bucks chasing does last Friday. I've also came across plenty of rubs, but not one scrape yet. I start my vacation nov. 4 and I plan on putting out some drippers this friday.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:05 PM

Here in central Pa I watched 3 bucks bang heads on monday night. They went at it for about 5 min. Then they chased off a doe.

I would say the rut has started here. Snow the past two days has helped some I would think.

Quick Reply: Anyone Seeing Any Rutting Activity???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.