Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting yesterday vs. bowhunting today >

Bowhunting yesterday vs. bowhunting today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting yesterday vs. bowhunting today

Old 10-30-2002, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting yesterday vs. bowhunting today

I agree with alot of your statement(s) but not all.

I started bowhunting in 1982 - While not Forever ago, long ago enough that a baker stand was "state of the art". I didn't own one, and hunted with a 45 lb laminated browning recurve (I wish I still had it!!) Mostly from the ground. I hunted for 2 years before I even took a shot, and 4 years before I got my first deer (with a newfangled bear whitetail coumpond bow no less). But, even though I hunt from portable stands, and use a bow less than 10 yrs old, I still try to keep it simple - good advice for any new bowhunter (or gun hunter for that matter).

Another thing that relates to your post.... I had a Mentor.... an accomplished bowhunter of 20 yrs at the time, I still know him well today, and he still preaches - keep it simple, and fun - Words to live by as far as I'm concerned.

Good post, and good reading - Remember - Everyone, regardless of their age now, will someday recount "the good old days".
Old 10-31-2002, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

out freaking standing C903! Now if folks could only get real on the tv hunting programs and videos the bowhunting world would be that much better with an attitude like that!
Old 10-31-2002, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> my point was to point out that the hype, the &quot;rad&quot; and &quot;zoomy&quot; fads, appears to have attracted some people for the wrong reasons <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Oh, I definitely agree but then again we could also look at it from the other side of the coin as well. I am sure that some of the &quot;new technology&quot; has also attracted some folks who are both respectable and dedicated to bowhunting who might not have even batted an eyelash in interest if they had to use traditional equipment.

I definitely do agree that it has made some folks lazy but then on the other hand it has made many people more proficient. I just wanted to comment on that issue.

Old 10-31-2002, 06:26 AM

Good post! I like what you guys had to say on this.

Thanks c903 for answering my post, I can definitly see where you're coming from. Again, good post!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>However, my point was to point out that the hype, the &quot;rad&quot; and &quot;zoomy&quot; fads, appears to have attracted some people for the wrong reasons <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Their wrong reason or your wrong reason. I think it is safe to say that you do not determine the &quot;right&quot; reason for everyone to take up archery.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Never said that. I was referring to how the hype even captures the hearts and minds of those who have no intention of engaging in anything other than talking toys.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Why do you care if others enjoy talking toys. If that is what they enjoy doing????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> There are not enough target shooters and bowhunters to support the vast industry that exists today. Correspondingly, there are not enough target shooters and bowhunters to justify the manufacturing of all the accessories that the multitude of companies make. Choices are too numerous for one company, or a few compaines, to reap most of the limited sales and profits.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Oh really. Where did you get your marketing data. I would have assumed that these companies have done marketing reasearch and have indeed found that the potential clients are there, or they would not risk such ventures. I would assume that this would be a critical part of getting loans and investors.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Many veteran bow shooters/hunters are hanging up their gear for a multitude of reasons. Because much of the gear has become too complex, too technical, too unreliable, and too expensive; new blood is being scared off and is causing new shooters to become frustrated and, therefore getting out of the sport early. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Maybe it is a natural progression. I don't think anyone forces people to use the newest equipment on the market. If anyone chooses to quit bowhunting because manufacturer continue to market new products not only is that sad but these people were also not dedicated hunters in the first place. If I am not mistaken tradtional archery equipment is still available for sale.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Add the fact that much of the bow industry has tried to consolidate 3D gear with bowhunting gear. THAT was a big mistake and caused much of the gear to be impractical for bowhunting <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

How so???????? You take all the qualities of an accurate and forgiving tournament bow and build it into a hunting bow and that is a bad thing???????????????????????

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>too expensive for what you get in return.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

So is gas should we quit using gas too. The better question is why do you care how I spend my hard earned money????????????????? I personally enjoy trying new &quot;toys&quot; but I am not under the belief that I can't kill deer without them.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I recently read some articles that said that bow and bow accessory technology has just about peaked. That some of the technology and progress, and maybe much of the technology and progress, has been for the worse rather than for the good, and a rollback to certain designs and an elimination of certain gear is expected. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Do you believe everything you read? What makes this one article right when the consensus of archers are enjoying continued innovation?

These are just a few of my questions. I am sure there are more to come.

Protect your hunting rights, &quot;Spay or neuter a liberal.&quot;

Edited by - silentassassin on 10/31/2002 08:22:29
Old 10-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pa

Sorry dude but that proficent statement is a joke! More of my trad pards are more &quot;proficent&quot; then the &quot;bowhunters&quot; I am seeing up here. Sorry 3d and paper is one thing. That said, even a decent trad archer can put out groups. The coin goes both ways!
Old 10-31-2002, 11:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed. There are definitely two sides to every coin. Though you may not be seeing it specifically in your area I do still strongly feel that some bowhunters are definitely more proficient with modern gear than they would be with traditional gear.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wont doubt that...many more doors are opened for the &quot;weekend warrior's&quot; but that in itself is a misdomener! Its supposed to be fun, and at what level you want to hunt is one thing.

Trad is supposed to be easy...ya right, get a life if you keep telling yourself that! Thats another!

Sorry if it sounded or sounds like I am attacking you, I aint!

And one last comment for all...

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>respectable and dedicated to bowhunting <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> is one helluva dying breed!
Old 11-01-2002, 06:33 AM

This is a great topic ... especially for us ancient arrow flingers.

I owned the following equipment in 1972: A Bear Grizzly recurve 45/50#, a quiver, 6 fiberglass and 6 aluminum arrows and 3 Bear broadheads. That gear was retired in 1984 (12 years). I bought my first compound with 4 round wheels, 12 aluminum 2114 arrows and a quiver. That gear was semi retired in 1998 (14 years).

1999: I bought a release, a Bear 2 cam, sights, peep, arrow rest and arrows.
2000: Sold the 2 cam for a Jennings single cam and bought new arrows, new release, peep and sights, new quiver and a new arrow rest.
2001: Bought a PSE Target bow for indoor with all new accessories.
2002: Sold the Jennings and bought a Golden Eagle, new arrows, new rest, blah blah blah ....

I never seemed to find a combination in harmony with each other. Does my bow exist? Will I ever find a combo that is &quot;mine&quot;?

Every gear purchase I've made since 1998 was plaqued with decisions such as &quot;Is this arrow rest better for indoor than that one?&quot; &quot;If I get an overdraw, what spine would I need?&quot; Thankfully, I am dedicated to my sport and have access to the Internet and all the information needed to get my equipment tuned but I wonder how many beginners are frustrated. Hell, I'm frustrated!

I miss the simplicity of bowhunting. The new gear increases accuracy, efficency, speed and everything else. The problem as I see it is the crucial setup needs of the new equipment. The solid wall makes draw length critical. The let off valley is critical when you want to let down a shot. The spine of the arrow cannot be chosen by the arrow charts alone anymore (trial and error with several spines are needed). You need to re-tune your equipment every time you make a small adjustment (and every accessory is adjustable).

In the early days you decided what draw weight you needed. Pick the arrow spine from the chart, go home and start practicing (and never stop). The bow became part of you and you were part of it. You wouldn't even THINK of changing bows after your bonding process was complete.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:39 AM
ck
Fork Horn

No new stuff for me. I still have the same set up I had for 20 years. There is no substiute for talent. ha

Quick Reply: Bowhunting yesterday vs. bowhunting today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.