Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea? >

Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Old 05-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default RE: Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

it's nice to get away from the wife!
Old 05-24-2006, 06:40 PM

Wow, a wife that shoots and can play a guitar! I love classical and jazz guitar music, I envy you.

I don't do the deer camp thing, or use hunting as an excuse to get away. That is why I said it would depend on why you hunt. If you do it for a boys time out or for the solitude then getting your spouse involved would probably not be wise. Some people have different relationships is all. I'm the type that when I am in a relationship I don't have many friends, I devote most of my time to my partner and enjoy it. If I want alone time I will say so and take it.

And if I were to get a spouse into hunting, especially deer hunting we would not do it together. I would put her somewhere on her own with a radio and let her do it on her own. This is how my hunting buddy and I hunt. We do not hunt together. We simply show up at the same time and meet up afterwards to talk about what we saw or didn't see. And if one of us kills something the other helps them with the tracking and dragging.

As far as the girl that screwed the guy over. I think that would have happened regardless. I don't think it had much to do with her hunting. Probably had to do more with the fact that she thought she needed implants or all the cool hunting toys.

Paul
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be careful with this one!
My wife likes to hunt but she’s a huge pain in the A** about it. My dad and his uncle have hunted together for 30 years. He has a small piece of property that holds two hunters max. There’s 4 people that want to hunt there and to be honest she’s last in line. She gets an attitude when my dad’s uncle gets to hunt and she doesn’t. She starts whining about “I’m family too” and it puts me in a real awkward spot with my dad. I refuse to tell my dad who he should let hunt on HIS land. She might hunt one time a year but she’s always wanting me to buy her all the new expensive gear, new muzzleloaders, etc. Overall it’s just a huge headache.

Her ex-boyfriends family has hundreds of acres of land so she could hunt any time she wanted to with him. I told her to call him up next November and see if he’d take her hunting!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

My wife actually shot 3D with me each week and went hunting once back when we were just dating. Soon as she got that ring on her finger.......

...haven't been back out in the woods with her since.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife came from a non-hunting family, not anti-hunting at all, just no real position. She now bowhunts with me, we've been to Idaho on an elk hunt together, going again for our 20th anniversary in 2007.

the only time it has caused ANY impact on my hunting is when the kids were to small to leave in the house alone, only one of us could go, so we took turns. Now that they are older, and hunt as well, we hunt together, alone or with the kids. It's easier to buy hunting stuff and my wife actually agrees with the line of "you can never have to many treestands".

the only thing she doesn't do is hang her own stands, I do all the stand hanging, she will scout and pick the placement, I do the hanging. She also stops hunting when it gets cold.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:40 AM

My wife had never been exposed to hunting or outdoor activities before meeting me. She is not nor does she want to be a hunter but she has embraced my passion for it. She has tried shooting archery and enjoyed it, but it wasn't her thing. What she loves doing is scouting with me pre and post season. She also has taken over the license submittal and application process for the states I hunt. She also has become very good at taking great pics with game. Another thing she loves to help with is dog training and watching the dog hunt is something she has interest in. She also loves taking part in the story telling after the hunt around the table.

She has taken part as much as she cares to and does feel "part of" my hunting expereince. I do try my best to let her know I appreciate her efforts and she never gives me crap about how much time and money I spend on it. Of course, the give and take part of marraige means she gets her "things" to, which in her case are very expensive hand bags and "spa days". I don't get how she can spend $500on bag, but wouldn't thinktwice about saying anything about it as I am sure she says the same thing about the hunting stuff I buy!

Personally, I do enjoy the solitude part of hunting. I think the answer to this question could and should be different for every person as we all are different.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say if they have a natural interest there is nothing wrong with it but it is critical that they upon having a certain level of proficiency that they pull their own weight other wise that could seriously impact your enjoyment of something you love or live for.The same goes both ways for spouses or boy friends and girl friends.A person shouldn't enter into the realm of their mates endeavor if it diminishes the enjoyment for the other.
Hunting for me is something that I practically always do alone,I may start from the same place as a friend and end up at the end of the day at the same place but other than that when hunting it is myself the woods and the game.Having said that I would have no problem introducing the sport to a young person or any one else who had the interest.As long as I had enough of the time that I would like to devote to my own hunting (solo).

Old 05-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

**THIS IS JUST AN OPINION**

My fiance doesn't hunt, I don't want her to hunt, nor will I try to get her started. I LOVE spending time with her, just not hunting time (although I do like morel hunting with her). I am a extremely serious hunter, but I also cherish the time after the hunt, drinking beer with my buddies, and exchanging stories. It is just not the same when there is a girl around. So I say find a keeper, if she hunts - fine, if not - don't get her started.

**THIS IS JUST AN OPINION**
Old 05-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am for taking her. The more time I can spend with her, especially doing what I love, the better!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:06 AM

My wife has no desire to hunt.... That's fine with me.... I've got 2 young boys as it is, so I really don't need another person to teach..... She is very understanding and lets me hunt as much as like... I am also very understanding and I make sure she has something to do when I am away...

Quick Reply: Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.