Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To Change My String...Or Not To Change My String >

To Change My String...Or Not To Change My String

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To Change My String...Or Not To Change My String

Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To Change My String...Or Not To Change My String

My Outback is going into it's 3rd year and I'm wondering whether or not I should change the string. I inspected it yesterday and it still looks new. It's hard to tell just how many times that I've shot it but it's not showing any wear. I keep it waxed and everything. What do y'all think should I change it or not?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: To Change My String...Or Not To Change My String

3 years old. Definitely change it, and very soon. I'm a little anal when it comes to changing strings. I probably do an overkill, but it's the result of having one fail on me. It's not a good feeling. I change my string every 6 months and change my cables everyother string change. I change it at the end of the year and then again usually in July or early August. That way it's broken in and stretched and all adjusted before the season starts. It'll get me through the season with no further adjustments needed usually. You're way over due in my way of thinking.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 PM

Change it today.

Last year my Bow exploded at full draw, nearly put an arrow through my left wrist, left a massive bruise and golfball on my wrist. The PSE scorpion was unharmed but wowsa, it is like a nightmare that I don't want to have happen again. Snapped the arrow in 1/2 across my wrist. Lucky I was wearing glasses because that string slapping me in the face was no party. Avoid the inevitable. 3 yrs is a long time if you shoot regularly. If you don't shoot often the strings can last for years. I had 1 on my old bow for 5 years, but I only shot 100 arrows per year.

Buy a Winner's Choice. Worth the couple of extra bucks (LOL) and has not stretched or moved a little in over 1000 shots.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto on what Davidmil and Chipcz said.... Even though the string looks fine, it is OLD...

Just like what happend to Chipcz, my old classic PSE dual cam bow blew up on my last season at full draw! Right there at full draw.... Ka-POW!!!!! [&:][] The string broke at the tear drop cable!!!

- The old XX75 alum arrowwent about 5 feet end-over-end and landed on the ground.
- The bow string endedup wrapping around my rightwrist (I'm a lefty) and the nock pointgave mequite a mark!!
- The upper limb or limb pocket or part of the riser got slightly twisted, and long story short, my old classic PSE bow met its demise....

Old 05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be going to the pro shop before long.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you're changing it. Where I used to help at we got several bows in with broken strings right under the nock point. When questioned it was almost always that it was 5-6 years old. You just can't inspect under the serving.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I change mine every other year. I had one break on me that looked perfectly normal even though it was 3 years old. I was spring turkey hunting and was standing in a field listening for gobbles, holding my bow at my side by the string. Suddenly the string popped, and my bow dropped to the ground. Killed my hope of bowhunting a turkey that day, but I was glad I wasn't at full draw.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would start with changing your underwear first and then your bow string!!

hehe just kidding

I change mine every 3 years, just about the time I buy a new bow lol

Old 05-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

I put on new string and cable every year.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:59 PM

I've got a nice scar on my wrist from one blowin up at full draw......Get that rascal changes. Manufacturers recommend at least every 2 years.

Quick Reply: To Change My String...Or Not To Change My String

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.