Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Home made stands >

Home made stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Home made stands

Old 05-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Home made stands

I was wondering if any one has any plans for making Home made tree stands ?? if you could let me know and maybe post Pictures it would be great thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Home made stands

They do say..... if you build it you will fall. I make my own ladder stands out of pressure treated lumber, I don't expect too many yrs from them though. Ladder' are pretty self exlanitory and I think you want plans for a hanger......sorry don't have but good luck and make sure its safe.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your planning on building a ladder stand, you should consider buying one first. If you plan on making it out of lumber, you are going to want to make sure it is pressure treated. With the price of lumber these days, it might not cost a whole lot more to buy one. You can get a 16'-0" ladder stand for around $80 at a lot of places. The advantage of buying one is

1) safer
2) last longer
3) lighter, easier to put up, down, or move

Just a thought.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to see people start building they're own bows! That's safer in my book!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I want to see people start building they're own bows! That's safer in my book!
Everything you need to know right here:

http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi

Old 05-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

All I have are home made. I own my own land, so I dont have to worry about moveing them or other people screwing with them. I simply get 1 inch square tube. You can get it at a metal store, it runs about 15 bucks for a 25' joint, primed. I just set in my shop with my chop saw and welder and make them how ever I want. I use 3/4 inch ply wood to make my seat. They work great, and you can make a stand for about 15 bucks each. There are so many ways to make them, let you imagination run wild. You will be surprised at how many ways you will come up with.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

this is what I know...As trees grow..the nails stay in and what ever the nail is holding gets pushed out and eventually...well i think u get it...not a good idea
Old 05-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep, Kamil is right there....and sometimes if you leave a stand in a tree with any kind of nylon or cloth belt fastening it to the tree the squirrels might chew it up....use chain if you are leaving it more than 24 hrs. i make all my own portable all-lumber stands that are pretty spacious(35"x25" aprox) and weigh in at around 12-14 lbs....but there are a million ways to skin a cat.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:21 AM
Banned

I have done all that in the past and now with age and wisdom I would recommend commercially built ones. I have 3 ladder stands that I bought last year on sale for $74.99. Rivers Edge 15' deluxe. We harvested 4deer out of these stands last year.I also bought 4 hang ons on sale at Cabelas for $50 each that we are very happy with.I also have nice Summits; climbers and hangons. I like lots of stands on my deer deer hunting places as I can hunt the wind this way and also never overhunt a stand. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and protect your safety and just buy commercial ones.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Hmmm, I am going to disagree with a few people here.
I have hunted out of homemade treestands on my own property for 12 years now. I have yet to fall (obviously), have a part fail, or have anything else bad happen. (Note me knocking on wood here). Alot of it is inspection and maintainence. I am constantly looking over my stands, and if something dont look right the part is replaced or the whole stand is rebuilt. Time consuming, you bet. Money consuming, no doubt. But there is something really satisfying about building your own stand, especially when it is huge, contains three trees, and can seat three people.
A ladder stand I have never built, all of mine are supported by, well, I dont know the technical term for them, but they are beefy. I use the biggest nails possible, and make sure that the pressure treated lumber is not comprimised in any way. Just gotta make sure you do things right!

Quick Reply: Home made stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.