Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost arrows ?

Old 05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lost arrows ?

I was just wondering if any of you use or have ever used a metal detector for finding arrows that have burrowed under the sod?I know carbon probably won't be detected, but the inserts or field tip should right?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Lost arrows ?

Actually, yes, I do. My son received a "cheap" National Geographic Metal detector a few years ago and I've used it w/ great success. It's nothing fancy, just a couple of AA batteries, turn it on, set the sensitivity and away you go. I think we paid like $40 for the thing. Carbons are tougher as you have to be right on the point for it to detect, but I've found them. We found aluminums from 15 or so years ago buried 6" underground w/ it. It really works very well.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking along that line mobowhunter,I didn't want to spend a mint on one but $40.00 is pretty reasonable.I built some bowstrings last week and added a string loop(which I never really used before)anyhow, it changed my anchor and point of impact for my arrows,and I lost a couple.[:@]and thought a detector would be a good bet.I also installed my string tracker on the bow and tied the string onto a few shot arrows,to get a line on where these might have landed....I can see how I could have lost them by where the string for each arrow landed.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Old 05-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

I use a lawn rake to find arrows that my kids bury in the grass. Works excellent.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Yeah, that works, too. Sometimes I also walk around barefoot and feel them. Just don't do that if you've been shooting broadheads.......[&:]
Old 05-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a $100 metal detector 10 or so years ago and between everyone I shoot with and myselfit has paid for itself a few times over. We use ACC arrows and it picks them up just fine. It is amazing how far a badly shot arrow can skipI would highly reccomend a metal detector if you enjoy shooting long distances.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't loose them so the metal detector would only burn up batteries sitting in the basement.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope. But that would be a good idea.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I need one for finding them in the snow!!!

Quick Reply: Lost arrows ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.