Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help with son >

Need help with son

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help with son

Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Spike

Default Need help with son

My twelve year old has recently shown interest in bow hunting. He has been shooting for a year now and still can’t close his recessive eye. He uses an old pair of sun glasses. We covered the lens with electrical tape on the recessive eye, and removed the lens for his shooting eye. This works for target shooting, but not very well for hunting. It would be nice if we could find a patch that flips down. This way he could scan the woods with both eyes, then flip down the patch to shoot. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need help with son

Well, WHy can't he shoot with both eyes open I do? In fact its the best way to shoot IMHO. It sounds like he has a eye dominantes problem May be he can shoot with the other hand But honestly I teach my son to shoot with his eyes open.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rich. I shoot with both eyes open as well. In fact, it wasn't until I started doing this that my shooting improved. It allows me to see more clearly and find the target quicker in hunting situations.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Spike

Rich,
Thanks! Sounds simple enough. I don't a thing about IMHO, so I guess it sounded like a dumb question. I'm one of the unfortunate ones who bought a bow through the catalog and taught myself the rest. My form and techniques would probably scare a few out there. Anyway, hope your idea works. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Shooting w/ both eyes open is preferred. The only time this is a problem is if you're right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:00 PM

I shoot with both eyes open as well.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Paulk
I'm one of the unfortunate ones who bought a bow through the catalog and taught myself the rest. My form and techniques would probably scare a few out there.Thanks.
Join the club.

Keep wandering around this and bowsite.com and do a search for subjects like keeping both eyes open. It is amazing what these guys can teach you just by reading. Youdon't need to ask many questions; somebody probably already did.

Of course you have to put up with the on-line bickering a little, but you either ignore it or can learn from that, too.

Test what you read here in the field and it will accelerate your learning curve.

But nothing can beat a little time with the pro if you have the means. Even your time with a pro is better after reading some of these posts.

IMHO is computerese for "In My Honest Opinion".
Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dshoot with my eyes open and have no trouble
Old 05-15-2006, 05:45 PM

PaulK , shooting with both eyes open comes easier to some than others.

My self am right handed and left eye dominant, both eyes open isn't so easy.
I keep trying by squinting my left eye and reopening it or simply closing it for a second and open.(pain in the butt)[:-]
Old 05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm like you right handed but left eye dominate. i wish i could shoot with both open but i just close my left

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.