Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad? >

Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

I was watching this guy bowhunt elk on OLN. It was his first elk with a bow. This huge 6x6 was staring dead on at him from what looked like about 25 yards. He put the arrow right in the center of the brisket between the shoulder blades. The guide was telling him what a great shot it was and the animal didn't go far. I was suprised to see him take that shot on a big tough animal like an elk. Iwaswaiting for him to get a broadside shot.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 AM

Default RE: Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have talked to guides who say its a deadly shot, takes out lung (1), liver, kidney etc. I have also talked to guides who say, not a chance, to much bone in the way.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:54 AM

These "Professional" TV hunters are under such pressure to get kills on tape nowadays that you're going to see more and more shots that you wouldn't normally see on video before.

We all know what the deal is. Sure it can be a lethal shot, but the percentage of success (or margin for error) for such a shot is low. If you make the shot, it will kill the animal. But the chances of you making the shot are less than a good broadside shot.

It's all just a symptom of the further commercialization of our sport.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:03 AM

If your confidence is that high on making that small a target at that range then why not? It's obvious in the boiler room taking out vitals and very little to stop it if it hits the sweet spot. Sometimes the typical big broadside shot we all think of is not going to happen and that's why I practise on smaller targets.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

It's a tough shot for sure. I wouldn't take it, but that's me. I'm sure I could make it, but I'm also sure I could screw it up, or the animal could screw it up. I think I'd wait and hope for something better, but that's me. To each his own self be true. Well, maybe if it were me I'd think about it. Heck, who knows for certain. 25 yards is close and on an elk it's a lot bigger target than a whitetail, of course there's a lot more bone too. If you drove it in you would get the liver and a lung. I just don't think it's worth it to me. After further review I'd wait.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a lot of shows now where they do not show the animal being shot or even show the animal after the shot running or going down. Makes me think something went wrong and they don’t want us to see it (bad shot, wrong animal).
Old 05-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If anybody has On-Demand from Comcast you can watch it right now. There are three different archery elk hunts on there. One of them is sweet. This guy shoots a bull elk from 5 yardson the ground with a bow. It'sthe closest shotI've ever seen.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 AM

go to the Bowsite and search this topic. A very, verygood elkhunter named BB has extensive knowledge of this shot and he would take it every time its given.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: rankbull

I have seen a lot of shows now where they do not show the animal being shot or even show the animal after the shot running or going down. Makes me think something went wrong and they don’t want us to see it (bad shot, wrong animal).
Alot of those are the politically correct shows that don't show the shot actually hit or the animal dying for fear of what anti'smight think IMO

Quick Reply: Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.