Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid found ! >

Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid found !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid found !

Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid found !

A DNA test has confirmed what zoologists, big-game hunters and aboriginal trackers in the far northern reaches of Canada have imagined for years: the first documented case of a hybrid grizzly-polar bear in the wild.

"Roger Kuptana, an Inuit tracker from the Northwest Territories, suspected the American hunter he was guiding had shot a hybrid bear last month after noticing its white fur had brown patches and it had the long claws and slightly humped back of a grizzly."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/05/11/canada.hybrid.ap/index.html
Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 AM

Default RE: Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid found !

guess bears need some "strange" too
Old 05-12-2006, 06:29 AM

Pretty interesting, if it was one of a kind its almost ashame that it was killed IMO

Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jungle fever. This got me thinking about what else is probably out there. For example, has anyone ever seen a whitetail/mulie hybrid?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

There have been numerous stufies done on whitetail/mulie mixes. Apparently, it is quite common. In fact, they are worried about the future of the mule deer in some areas because the whitetails are in effect breeding them out. There was an interesting article about it in American Hunter (I think) a few months ago.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess my thinking was wrong, because I thought that specimens from two seperate species couldn't mate... but the more I think about it, I guess that's how we get mules -- a horse and a donkey, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe it's got to be a whole seperate family of animals... hmmm.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

There are whitetail/mulie hybreds. I read an article on it once. The article stated that whitetails are much more aggressive in their breeding and that the whitetail could possibly breed the mulie out since a whitetail will run a doe and a mulie wont as a general rule.Thats just what I had read.

Jay
Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess my thinking was wrong, because I thought that specimens from two seperate species couldn't mate...
You're thinking was wrong. After all, I'm from Upstate NY and married a South Georgia girl.[8D]
Old 05-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Maybe it's got to be a whole seperate family of animals" - Greg

Only in some states. LOL. Sorry, I just had to say it.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Most hybrids are sterile and can't reproduce. Cross Stripers and Sand Bass and you get the hybrids that are stocked in many reservoirs, but these fish cannot reproduce. Mules are sterile hybrids from horses and donkeys. Hybrids do occur in the wild but there are usually reproductive problems associated with them that do not allow them to breed further and the genetics become part of the makeup of the species.

As for mulie/whitetail hybrids it is nearly always the much more aggressive whitetail buck breeding the more non-agressive mulie doe, and not the other way around. Also true mulie/whitetail hybrids as provable by genetic testing are not as common as some biologists and "experts" would have you believe. Really the main issue with these species is that whitetails are more agressive and just flat out out-compete their larger cousins. But that is a loooonnnng discussion.

Quick Reply: Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid found !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.