Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting public land with an ATV? >

Hunting public land with an ATV?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting public land with an ATV?

Old 05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting public land with an ATV?

I just purchased a new ATV and went riding through some county forest over the weekend. Wow, what a riot! Anyways it's all public hunting land and looks fantastic. We saw several deer (almost hit one going about 45 mph). I can't wait to strap a bow (and a fishing pole) to the back of this thing!
Do many of you guys do this?
If I park it near my stand, do you think the odors of oil, plastic, rubber, etc, will scare them off a mile away? (they may be used to it)
Does anyone actually sit onthier ATV and hunt?
Any info or tips would be appreciated

Here's my new rig:
2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Special Edition

Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting public land with an ATV?

you can't take any motorized vehicle on public land in NC
Old 05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Expect alot of flat tires and damage to your atv during deer season. You ruin everybodys hunt when you go thru the woods in one of those. Don't get me wrong I have a 660 raptor and love to ride. I have the healed broken ribs to prove it. Hunters just don't take kindy to atv's going thru the woods during deer season.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I hear ya, MO. I have no intentions of actually cruising through the woods. There's ATV trails throughout and there will be many riding the trails. This will be more like finding a spot, parking it and walking in to actually hunt.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cannot do it in most of PA either. There may be some designated public areas that you can use them on but, IIRC, it is usually for disabled folks.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

I'm from the old school. I hunt on foot and get there by foot. I also get my kill out on foot. I don't want motorized vehicles running through the woods. Thank God they are illegal on public land in IA. It's just my opinion and we all have them.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I love my quad, gets me farther in than I ever could walkon foot , found some remote fishing spots with her.I havehelpedquite a few people drag their deer out at the end of the day also. Just use common sense and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Ohio it is illegal to hunt from a motorized vehicle so no I have never hunted while sitting on my 4wheeler. They ceratinly are great tools for taking treestands in a long way and hauling out deer though. Man, that thing is worth its weight in gold when there is a deer down a long way from home. Anyway, the property I leased the deer were "used" to 4wheelers, but they sure as heck wouldn't get close enough to one to shoot them with a bow anyway. As far as I am concerned they are great tools, but not hunting platforms.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: boldplate

you can't take any motorized vehicle on public land in NC
My thoughts exactly, although I see plenty of yahoos who do it all the time, (where's the game warden when you need him?). But if its legal where you live then go for it!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not legal on public ground here in SD either. In the Black Hills you can use them during season on logging trails an stuff, but about 90% of the guys break that rule.

Quick Reply: Hunting public land with an ATV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.