Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tell me why I should switch... >

Tell me why I should switch...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell me why I should switch...

Old 05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tell me why I should switch...

To mechanical broadheads? In particular, the Spitfire 100 grain 3-blade broadhead.

I have been shooting Muzzy 100gr. 3-blades and have had horrible experiences with planing. Three arrows into a 3" circle at 30 yards, and then 2 arrows 3" left at 20 yards. I can't hunt with this kind of inaccuracy.

Last season I took a 25 yard shot at a doe in a nice broadside position and hit her in the back of the rib cage! Fortunately she died within 80 yards of where I hit her. The terminal performance was great, the accuracy was not.

I know there has been unending debates on this topic, but I have been watching some of the Archers Choice videos and I am blown away by the terminal performance of the Spitfires.

A little input would be great.

Thanks,
Bowflex
Old 05-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Tell me why I should switch...

First before making the switch make sure your bow has been paper tuned

Old 05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

I would definitely switch. I used to shoot Thunderhead 100's and switched to Spitfire 100's. They put a huge hole in a deer. The last two I've gotten with them have gone less that 40 yards.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will not tell you to switch, only leave you with this:

A Fixed blade broadhead will never not open!!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I currently have the spitfire 100 grain and they fly just like the target tips do! Very accurate!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too am shooting Spitfire 100s and have never had a problem with them not opening. I shot 3 deer this year and all dropped close, one at 20 yards, one at around 25 yards and the farthest was about 40 yards. The heads fly deadly accurate and they leave bloodtrails that even a blind man could follow. I highly recommend them.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

OPS... wrong thread.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:06 PM

The only thing I hate about the Spitfires is that you can't practice very much with them. After a few shots the blades break and the practice broadhead does not fly the same as the actual Spitfire. However, I have killed many deer with the Spitfires and they have done a terrific job everytime.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Alot of broadhead inaccuracery is a result of a improper setup or an untuned bow. Ive been able to fix just about every problem that someone has come to me with as far as broadhead flight. Papertuning can tell you what your problem is and then help you tune to a perfect bullet hole. That will 95% of the time lead to great broadhead flight.

Jason
Old 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

I have used both and have equal performance with both. They are both great broadheads. I currently use 3 blademuzzys as I bought a bunch for elk hunting last year and most people don't recommend expandables on elk. I know a lot of bear camps don't like them either. I have seen bears shot by Ralph with a spitfire and watch them drop within sight of the stand. I think the place where an expandable shines isin wide open windy places where long shots are the norm like antelope and barren ground caribou country. The wind is likely to have less effect on arrow performance with an expandable.A whitetail hunter in a treestand shooting 15-20 yds gains nothing by going with an expandable IMO.

Quick Reply: Tell me why I should switch...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.