Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you handle the down time? >

How do you handle the down time?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you handle the down time?

Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you handle the down time?

I don't really have any down time either. I have almost 2 acres of food plots to put in and finish up, turkey season, then this summer I have several IBO and ASA shoots, and I have several tree stands that need to be hung as well including 2x permanent ones I will be building.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Family, house work, family, gardening, family, food plots, family, trail clearing, family, equipment maintenance, family, practicing, and....oh yeah, family.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do what do you guys do to keep focused during this down time?
To tell you the truth, I never really get bored shooting my longbow all year. I usually get in a dozen arrows before work and a few dozen after work. I try to stay as non-routine as possible though. Shooting at different angles, yardages, and positions.

You may want to give tradiational a shot in the off season and see what it's like if you never have before.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

BCmuley you are a lucky hunter to have all of that around you!

Y'all are right about food plots, they take a lot of time. Which is nice in some ways and a pain in others. To be honest I don't really shoot much from December - April. Start it back up in May and shoot everyday through November. Never got into 3D shoots, always wanted to but I am too chicken to go by myself. This spring I am spending trying to get my wife into hunting. At least she likes shooting a bow. I can live with that.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

The possibilities... Bowfishing. Hog hunts. Hunting non-gamevarmints/predators. SOMETHING isalways legalto hunt in Texas during the so-called 'off season.'

I'm with you.Shooting 3D with fully decked out compounds is b-o-r-i-n-g! Especially when you're with a bunch that gets annoyedat the slightest sound, so the whole place is quiet as a morgue. Get yourself a recurve or longbowand shoot 3D's with traditional gear.Tradfolks know how to party and have a good time on the 3D course.[8D]

I've made my own arrowsfor years and years. Got back into making selfbows about 5 years ago.A little bowyery is a good way to stave off boredom.Since myshoulder told me no more bow shooting, I've switched from making selfbows to learning how to make midieval-style crossbows. I'm well along into making my second one now.

You've got no excuse for being bored.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

It gets easier with age. I used to do all the things mentioned, but as you age you have other things to do and it takes you longer to do them. When I was a young whippersnapper I shot tournaments which required hours of practice about 5 days a week. There was no down time. Now I start earlier every year tuning my bow, body and broadheads. I'll have that all done before I go to Canada fishing at the end of the month. This summer I'll be selling the house and movingand I'll wish I had MORE time.[&:] I've already lined up my hunting in Georgia for the coming year. I would like to do some scouting and glassing which will require some time. I've got several hunting trips in preliminary stages to Texas, Ohio, Indiana, NY and maybe Idaho or Montana. Need to do a lot of organizing somehow between now and then. AND, as you get older the body gets really REALLY rusty. I got to do something about that or I will have to forget any mountain trips this fall. I get along fine in flat lands and the states like Ohio etc, but I know dang well I'd just be kidding myself to start out for 9,000 feet in the condition I'm in. Down time?????? Dang, I wish I had more time already.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Downtime. My downtime is busy working and saving for more gadgets and time off in the fall and scouting. There is little time for downtime. I'm working my rear off now so later, I don't have too.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 AM

I reallly have no down time....... I spend the spring and summer trying to push myself to become a better shooter...... No matter what your level, you can always improve.....
Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like Arthur P said, theres never a down time.. There is something always legal to hunt.. I am getting ready for some bow fishing this year. Shoot a few ASA tournaments, hunt a few rabbits and squirrels and hopefully kill at least 5 pigs before you know it, it a full circle again.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I go fishing alot in the summer time. Maybe a few groundhog hunts as well.

Quick Reply: How do you handle the down time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.