Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade Reflective Wraps - Success >

Homemade Reflective Wraps - Success

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Reflective Wraps - Success

Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade Reflective Wraps - Success

I made these arrow wraps from 3M Solas Reflective Tape[/b]. It’s available on the web at less than $2 per foot for use on life jackets etc. I can make 8 wraps per foot with the 2” Blazer Broadhead Vanes. I cut them to the appropriate size/shape, applied them to the arrow and put a tiny drop of glue on the corners of the tape. The vane epoxy does adhere well to the tape material. The first picture is without flash and the second picture with flash demonstrates the incredibly reflectivity of the material. A wrap-sized piece of this stuff is easily visible from a hundred of yards with a good flashlight. The tape has a square pattern that makes them sharp looking and acts as a guide when cutting the material. You can make these for a fraction of the cost of manufactured wraps and they will be very helpful when looking for an arrow or downed animal at night. I have been shooting them through a whisker bisquit with no ill effects on point-of-impact or accuracy.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:30 PM

Default RE: Homemade Reflective Wraps - Success

Very clever indeed. Looks good. Is grey the only color available?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow! that should work!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like the Solas Marine Grade is only available in Grey/Silver, Green and Red. Looks like some of the other companies offer yellow and orange. It's hard to tell from the pic but the silver does present a nice appearance. The stuff is incredibly tough and very easy to apply.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

My only question, how many arrows have you had to go looking for at night out of how many kills. I mean, like percentage wise? I mean, it's almost a never kind of deal. You shoot through the animal and it sticks or lays there on the ground. Sometimes it can hang and get kicked but it really is usually just sticking in the ground. Seems like an awful lot of fluff, time and cost for a non event. Manufactuer wraps aren't so much for finding an arrow as just decoration. They really serve no function in hunting.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

I make my own wraps too. Go to local vinyl sign makers and get their scrap pieces in the colors you like. I get mine for FREE. It is 3M vinyl and I cut mine on a paper cutter. Measure 1''X 6""
Old 05-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: davidmil

My only question, how many arrows have you had to go looking for at night out of how many kills. I mean, like percentage wise? I mean, it's almost a never kind of deal. You shoot through the animal and it sticks or lays there on the ground. Sometimes it can hang and get kicked but it really is usually just sticking in the ground. Seems like an awful lot of fluff, time and cost for a non event. Manufactuer wraps aren't so much for finding an arrow as just decoration. They really serve no function in hunting.
Arrow wraps and luminox help you see the flight of your arrow and point of impact;and they help you find your arrow after a shot. Also if you want to film your hunt the arrow shows up on film better. They also make your arrows look
Old 05-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never looked for a lost arrow after dark but I will now.
KW
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Dominant Buck

You folks must be hunting a lot later than I do.[8D] Do your bows come with spot lights or infra red?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You folks must be hunting a lot later than I do.[8D] Do your bows come with spot lights or infra red?

Actually I have a red light mounted on my stabilizer, and a laser beam too, great for hog hunting.

Quick Reply: Homemade Reflective Wraps - Success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.